digidocs

Well Known Member
This seems like a silly question, but I'm having trouble finding the answer. Where can I buy pre-cut aluminum spacers say 3/8" long that slip over an AN3 bolt?

Thanks,
-DC

Buy? Why not make.

Why do you need to buy them pre-cut? Just make them yourself. Here's how I do it:

I'll assume that you don't have a lathe, but that you do have a drill press. Start out with hard aluminum tubing that has the desired inner and outer diameters. Cut the tube to length slightly long using a band saw or hack saw. Chuck the spacer in your drill press. Rotate the table of the drill press laterally such that you have a solid table surface (i.e. not a hole) under the spacer. Place a piece of sand paper face up on the table of the drill press and hold it with your left hand. Turn on the drill press at relatively high RPM and press it down with light-moderate pressure so the spacer contacts the sand paper. Use this technique to square and clean up the ends, and to fine-adjust the length of the spacer.

Our two local Ace...

This seems like a silly question, but I'm having trouble finding the answer. Where can I buy pre-cut aluminum spacers say 3/8" long that slip over an AN3 bolt?

Thanks,
-DC

...hardware stores have quite a few different sizes in stock.

Our local Home Depot also has some, but a smaller selection. Both are in the pull out drawer section of the hardware aisle.

I've also used the drill press method described above, but prefer a file instead of sandpaper.

McMaster Carr has a really nice selection. Thanks for the tip.

I like the method for making your own, but I might need quite a few.

Thanks for the help,
-DC

I made all my spacers. I cleaned up the ends by chucking the spacer in a hand held drill, and ran the drill while holding the end of the spacer against the ScotchBrite wheel.