ebusto

I'm New Here
I live in an apartment, so I'm lacking a garage. All of the local airports have pretty gnarly waiting lists for hangars. If I wanted to build an RV, does anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone gone through the process of locating and renting warehouse space for the purpose of aircraft building? Any problems encountered? Experiences?

I live in an apartment, so I'm lacking a garage. All of the local airports have pretty gnarly waiting lists for hangars. If I wanted to build an RV, does anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone gone through the process of locating and renting warehouse space for the purpose of aircraft building? Any problems encountered? Experiences?

Eric,

First off there is no such thing as a "lowly student pilot" as per your public ID. We all started as student pilots at one time.

My youngest son lives in an apartment is Vista, CA and has rented warehouse space for doing his wood working stuff. The place is quite large and could easily accommodate an RV project.

Check it out in your area and get started! :)

Do you have a kitchen?

Hi from densely populated East Coast. Build your tail surfaces in the apartment you live. Top your compressor tank when neibours are at work:),run your rivet gun on weekends. Advantages: 1.You will certainly determine if you like it and/or able to continue/finish, 2. Expenses will be minimal if project suddenly stopped or you decide to withdraw and sell. 3. By the time you are done with empennage, there will be several other options where and how to proceed further. Been there.
Just do it.

I'm in that same state right now. I'm building my Tail feathers in my apartment without a garage. Get a good shop vac if you're going to do so, the aluminum shavings do tend to get everywhere. I'm not really sure how to proceed with the rest after i'm done so i'm kind of in the same boat. I've started looking at Hangars, warehouses, and the like. Most storage places don't want you building in them though, so just keep that in mind. It is definitely doable though! I will get this thing build eventually!

One things that could also work is just renting a storage unit somewhere and work there. There is the issue of power & utilities. But for the most part its no different than a un-insulated hanger. It may be cheaper than a wharehouse/workshop rental, and you can move up into a larger spot as the project gets bigger. Also, the lease at the storage unit may prohibit certain activies other than storing stuff as well.

I met another RV guy at an airport one day when getting gas. Unfortunately I do not remember his name but he had a nice looking -8A and it was very well built.

We of course started talking RVs and he mentioned that he too was in an apartment. He found an ad for shop space for rent in the local classifieds. He was thinking it would be out of his price range, but he decided to call anyway. The shop belonged to a widow who's late husband fooled around a lot with cars. The -8A builder rented the shop from her and built his entire plane there.

So maybe you could check the classifieds?

Just a thought.

What kind of apartment do you live in? I lived in a townhouse and didnt have any problem building 80% of the airframe in my living room. Although it might be tough if you have people above and below you.

Thats a tough one. Have you looked around for a house/shared housing with a garage? Not sure what your situation is, but I know there are places available further down in San Jose that may not be as nice but are sometimes similiar cost. I haven't seen much affordable work shop space either, but there's probably something out there.

I have seen hangar space for rent down at South County Airport, but thats probably far, and as people have said, might not be the best work space long term.

Where are you doing your flight training?

When I first started building my RV I didn't have a garage. I shared space in a T hanger with a Luscombe. The Luscombe being a high wing, there was plenty of room in the hanger. RV building really doesn't take up that much space until the wings go on the fuselage. The owner of the Luscombe was happy to offset the cost of his hanger. I know some airports require insurance for any airplane in the hanger. Usually builders insurance will suffice.
I could have had built the whole airplane in that hanger, less installing the wings.
Aaron

Try EAA

Join the EAA and your local chapter. Maybe someone there has extra room in their hangar/workshop to rent you.
good luck

How loud is a rivet gun?

One of my neighbors like to jam out on his electric guitar now and then. By jam out, I mean annoy the holy **** out of me and everyone within 10 square miles by playing horrible renditions of already horrible songs. This might be a bit of revenge. :D

Actually, I'd prefer not to draw too much noise related attention to my apartment. I don't have anyone above or below me, but a few neighbors off to the side. I only have one common wall with another apartment, which is pretty nice.

Hi from densely populated East Coast. Build your tail surfaces in the apartment you live. Top your compressor tank when neibours are at work:),run your rivet gun on weekends. Advantages: 1.You will certainly determine if you like it and/or able to continue/finish, 2. Expenses will be minimal if project suddenly stopped or you decide to withdraw and sell. 3. By the time you are done with empennage, there will be several other options where and how to proceed further. Been there.
Just do it.

Good idea. I've checked craigslist, but that hasn't been very fruitful. Most of the places that look promising are huge, with a corresponding rental rate which I can't really swing.

I met another RV guy at an airport one day when getting gas. Unfortunately I do not remember his name but he had a nice looking -8A and it was very well built.

We of course started talking RVs and he mentioned that he too was in an apartment. He found an ad for shop space for rent in the local classifieds. He was thinking it would be out of his price range, but he decided to call anyway. The shop belonged to a widow who's late husband fooled around a lot with cars. The -8A builder rented the shop from her and built his entire plane there.

So maybe you could check the classifieds?

Just a thought.

It is one floor, upstairs, but pretty large. It also helps that I don't own a lot of stuff that normal people own, like a kitchen table, or more than one chair.

I'd probably have sufficient room to get started. I'm just afraid of being too noisy and whatnot.

What kind of apartment do you live in? I lived in a townhouse and didnt have any problem building 80% of the airframe in my living room. Although it might be tough if you have people above and below you.

I've been meaning to do this, even if I don't actually build an airplane, as a show of support. I'll investigate this route too, thanks!

Join the EAA and your local chapter. Maybe someone there has extra room in their hangar/workshop to rent you.
good luck

I built the tail and wings in the living room of a two-bedroom apartment. I checked with the neighbors and my compressor was a barely audible hum; still, I made sure to do my riveting when it would be least disruptive. Riveting does not take up much of the time during the build. The hardest part, for me, was getting the wings out of the apartment. Two people could easily handle the wings but my patio was semi-sunken and we had to lift them over a 3-foot retaining wall.

If you take your time building, you should be able to get some shared space in a hangar or some such (cultivate not just the EAA but also local pilot's groups; find out where the $100 hamburger gang hangs out and get friendly) and you should get on the list for a hangar so you will have it when you are ready to assemble the components. Some airports will allow you to stay on the list and pass you over if you aren't ready for a hangar when it becomes available. Again, getting friendly with the airport people helps.

WORKSHOP

If you don't have a kitchen table what in the world are you using for a workbench??? Two alternatives: find some other builders with the same problem and rent a large warehouse. Find a small warehouse with a full bathroom and move in with the airplane. Anyone old enough to remember the TV series Vegas where Robert Ulrich lived in a warehouse with his 57 T Bird?

I have no problem building or buying something to use as a workbench when the time comes. I just avoid owning stuff that I don't need. I only recently bought a couch, and only after my friends complained about having to sit on the floor when they come to visit.

Living in a warehouse would be pretty sweet in some ways, but my better half probably wouldn't like it. She wouldn't be able to bake me cookies if I don't have an oven.

If you don't have a kitchen table what in the world are you using for a workbench??? Two alternatives: find some other builders with the same problem and rent a large warehouse. Find a small warehouse with a full bathroom and move in with the airplane. Anyone old enough to remember the TV series Vegas where Robert Ulrich lived in a warehouse with his 57 T Bird?

I'm flying out of Palo Alto. South County is about an hour from my apartment. I suspect I wouldn't commit as much time to building as I should if the workshop / hangar was so far away.

I may go the house or duplex rental route, but I'm really loath to move if I can help it. I'm only a few minutes drive from my work, which I would hate to give up. Not having a crazy commute helps to keep me sane.

Thats a tough one. Have you looked around for a house/shared housing with a garage? Not sure what your situation is, but I know there are places available further down in San Jose that may not be as nice but are sometimes similiar cost. I haven't seen much affordable work shop space either, but there's probably something out there.

I have seen hangar space for rent down at South County Airport, but thats probably far, and as people have said, might not be the best work space long term.

Where are you doing your flight training?

Commercial space

With the economy in the tank there are going to be vacant commercial properties available. A car-guy pal of mine has a killer shop/living room/party venue in the east bay. Noise is no issue and the price is right. I would be looking in commercial/industrial areas.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA