SteelMike

Well Known Member
Okay guys...

Full disclosure, it's true! Father forgive me for I have sinned! I didn't inventory the wing kit!

Okay, so the question is where the heck is that W-423 joint plate that goes between the LE of the wing and the tank?? It looks like the kind of thing that you would fab - looks to be a simple strip about .032x1"x24". First: is this an actual part, or do you fab it, and second: where is it? Is it bundled with something recognizable when the pack the kits?

Thanks in advance,

MB

If I remember correctly .. yes you do have to manufacture it yourself.
There should be a bundle of extra cut offs that came with the wing kit.

That's kinda what I figured (darn, shouldn't have made my confession!), but neither the plans nor the instructions give the dimensions, unless I'm going blind... which is a possibility.

Haha. Found the dimensions. It was so in-front of my face that my nose was blocking it.

[edit: well... now that I look at it... it says "make from AS3-032x1.5x36.5" but that doesn't actually give you the final dimensions. Hmmm...]

Last edited:
no you don't fab them. They are in flap bundle.

I just did mine, and my recollection is that you do NOT fab these. There are two strips the exact right size. They are straight, not bent. I think they are in the bundle of stuff for the ailerons and flaps. All you have to do is bend them to shape and then drill all the holes and attach nut plates.

Dimple and or countersink W-423?

I've got it all drilled out. Now my question, Do I dimple the #19 holes and the #40 rivet holes or do I machine countersink in the W-423? If I dimple the #40 holes then do I also dimple the nutplates for the rivets. It looks like the nutplates already allow for a #19 dimple.:confused:

Jerry
RV-7 wings

W423 Splice Plate

From my plans (8 wing is almost identical):
"Dimple the #19 screw holes and the rivet holes for the rib and platenut attachment. The holes for attaching to the rib and skin can be slightly reamed (like the rear spar) to gain a better fit between the skin, the splice plate, and the rib."

Good luck,
Mike