AJ85WA

Well Known Member
Ok so after 2 months of waiting and countless hours on this great forum my rv6 kit has arrived at the docks ready for me to pick up on Tuesday.

I purchased this QB kit, including wings, emp, and finnishing kit from a person who was unable to continue. I had it checked out before purchased and all the work done was excellent.
My question is after I get it uncrated and on some jigs, and inventory everything....where do I start? Emp has been completed, wings are Finnish and fuselage is QB.

So where would you start?:rolleyes:

Thanks AJ
3952808d.jpg

38c85327.jpg

324395f9.jpg

I would make a Jig about knee height for the fuselage and
work on the plumbing to the back and then start on wiring the
inside of the cockpit. This will take the longest to complete.
Don't worry about the emp and wings. They will take the least
amount of time.
Here is a short list:

Static ports
Wire for tail light
Elevator push tubes
Elevator Bell crank
ELT
Seat Belt Attatch points
Auto pilot servo
Strobe packs

Best of all---Small helper:D

Happy New Year to all Down Under

If you really want to get into it, start by reading the construction manual from page one and follow through looking at the project and and large drawing at what the previous owner has done. When you get to an unfinished part, you will have some understanding of what to do next.

The 6 manual probably does not have a start point for completing a QB. The 8 does which is helpful.

As an expansion on what Bruce said, I'd compile an equipment list and then start making the modifications to the airframe for the equipment you will install. Don't rush to complete the airframe, as it is much easier to install equipment now. You'll have to wait to get the fuselage on legs to install belly antennae, but you can install the doublers and wiring runs now, as well as figuring out where things like an ELT, strobe power supply, or autopilot servos will go.

You may still be in sticker shock now after buying the kit but the problem with QBs (aside from the fact that someone else had the fun of building your plane) is that they arrive completed about to the point where costs really start ramping up. With the slow build, you get a breather before you have to pony up for a lot of avionics.

Great advise

Thanks guys for the great advise. I was stuck and a bit overwhelmed where to start but you guys gave me a bit to think about now.

AJ

Hi AJ...

You don't mention your previous "building experience"?

The issues of starting at this point, compared to the empennage are:
  1. The instructions are less clear / detailed about what / how to do - they assume you built the earlier bits and learnt as you went along
  2. The cost in time / $$ and hassle of correcting mistakes goes up exponentionally (e.g. the biggest c*ckup in the empennage will cost say $40 for a new part, a misdrilled longeron hole in the fuselage could write it iff)
So whilst agreeing with the posts above, I would try and find some sub-components to build.

Andy

Local Builders and Pilots

Try visiting Serpentine Airfield. I am sure you will find a few RV pilots and builders there. Look in to joining the local SABC Club. Join the Sport Aviation Association of Australia (SAAA). You shouldn't have any problem finding local RV experience, and most of us are more than happy to help you get on track.

Steve Barnes "The Builders Coach"