Doug Rohrer

Well Known Member
I am diagnosing high oil temps on my 9A which I did not build. It appears that some sensors are located at the oil cooler, but not on mine. I can't find an oil temp sensor anywhere. Where else can oil temp be sensed on an O-320? What does the sensor look like?

Here is where it is on a IO-360

engine1.jpg

It's also the only thing I can think of (off the top of my head) on the BACK of the engine that has 2 small wires coming out of it. The wires lead eventually to whatever displays oil temperature. At least it's that way on my engine:rolleyes:

Jeremy Constant

OK. This helps. I was looking for a 2-wire thermocouple device. Maybe I can test this sensor by placing it in boiling water and seeing what the gauge says. I want to make sure the sensor/guage is telling the truth before moving onto a larger oil cooler or other solutions. Doug

Follow Up

I removed the sensor and put it in a can of water with a good thermometer with wires still hooked up. I then compared the gauge readout with the thermometer as I heated the can with a torch. The gauge reads 240 when the water was 190. I think I found my problem. The only question is sensor or gauge? Maybe others with high oil temps have this issue.