LyleM

I'm getting ready to start on the floors on my -8 and trying to decide rather to make the floors removable or not since it will be sometime in the future if I add an autopilot or not. Just where are the Trutrak elevator and aileron servos installed? Thank You Lyle

RV8 AP Servos

Lyle:

I did not make all of my floor removeable, just the area directly under the pilot's seat. And of my 6 years operating this RV8, I have never had a need to completely remove the flooring. It would make the annual condition report easier, but I have a good flashlight and mirrow. If you have questions or concerns, you may call me at home or shoot me an email.

Jim

The servos won't go under the floor anyway

Lyle,
Last summer, I posed the burning question about screwing or pop riveting the floor and many posted their opinions. After careful consideration, I have decided to rivet the floor rather than set over 50 nutplates. Besides, your AP servos won't go under the floor anyway. I am using a Trio system and the pitch servo goes under the baggage compartment, near the elevator bell crank. The roll servo will go in one wing. The only things that might go under the floor boards are some antennas. A little prior planning should foregoe any troubles there.
Happy riveting,

Huh?

Besides, your AP servos won't go under the floor anyway. I am using a Trio system and the pitch servo goes under the baggage compartment, near the elevator bell crank. The roll servo will go in one wing. The only things that might go under the floor boards are some antennas.

Sorry Steve, I gotta disagree with you a little bit. the Tru Trak roll servo is perfectly happy under the removable portion of the RV-8's floor. The pitch, of course, goes behind the rear baggage compartment, just as you say. I really liked having all of my components in my fuselage, since I was able to do all-up avionics and system testing while it was still in the garage, long before the wings were ever installed.

I do agree with you on riveting down the rear floors. Lots of people put in nut plates and screws, but I personally riveted mine and have yet to have the need to remove them.

Paul

...It would make the annual condition report easier, but I have a good flashlight and mirrow.
FYI - I just shove my digital camera in each slot and take a picture. Of course, I down load the pictures to the PC right there at the hangar so I can blow them up to a usable size and see what is going on. Sure is much better than the flashlight and mirrow trick.

Builder Option

I'm getting ready to start on the floors on my -8 and trying to decide rather to make the floors removable or not since it will be sometime in the future if I add an autopilot or not. Just where are the Trutrak elevator and aileron servos installed? Thank You Lyle
Whether to make the floors removable or not is an endlessly debated topic of discussion:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=18432&highlight=removable+floors

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=23573&highlight=removable+floors

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=18707&highlight=removable+floors

There are those who argue that you never have to get in there and those who argue otherwise. Regardless of which side of the debate you come in on, TruTrak autopilot servos do not require removable floors for installation in the RV-8/A.

Now soundproffing

Thanks guys for the input on the servos. Now I'm going to throw a curve ball at the same area. The noise in all airplanes has always been a sore spot with me. I've been planning on doing some soundproofing. In A/C Spruce they have super soundproofing that I was planning to put under the floor stuck to the belly skin. All parts including skins were primed before assembly. If I keep it away from cables, does anybody see a problem with this? Thanks again Lyle

Thanks guys for the input on the servos. Now I'm going to throw a curve ball at the same area. The noise in all airplanes has always been a sore spot with me. I've been planning on doing some soundproofing. In A/C Spruce they have super soundproofing that I was planning to put under the floor stuck to the belly skin. All parts including skins were primed before assembly. If I keep it away from cables, does anybody see a problem with this? Thanks again Lyle
The servo question was much easier to answer than this one. Maybe the question that should be asked, is what is the source of the noise you are hearing. This should be interesting.

Some sound and vibration protection on the floor boards is always a good idea, IMO. However, I find that active noise reduction headsets are a must for me. I've had a 14 year old set of Telex ANR's, and just got a new set (Stratus 50 Digital). These make the noise of RV's a total non-event!

L.Adamson

weight and effectiveness

I considered installing sound proofing as well, but decided that an investment in good headsets would be a much lighter and more effective way to reduce the noise level.

Servo Location

I have built two rv8's and helped with about 15 others. A better question for servo location I think is ease of visual inspection. On the 8 putting the pitch servo in the back attached to the bell crank I belive is the best option. I have a plexiglass window in the top of the hat rack that I can visualy inspect the bellcrank and the servo with a flash light in one hand and moving the back stick with the other and never even remove the seat. I have a trio autopilot and my roll servo is in the right wing under the aileron rod inspection plate. Although under the forward section of the floor is ok, I prefer the ease of inspection in the wing. On the floor rivet or nut plate option, my view is the aft floor is like primary structure and should be riveted in place. Just make sure you add in a plastic tube for future wiring under the aft floor before riveting in place.

My 2 cents
Pat Stewart

Pics?

...On the 8 putting the pitch servo in the back attached to the bell crank I belive is the best option. I have a plexiglass window in the top of the hat rack that I can visualy inspect the bellcrank and the servo with a flash light in one hand and moving the back stick with the other and never even remove the seat. I have a trio autopilot and my roll servo is in the right wing under the aileron rod inspection plate. Although under the forward section of the floor is ok, I prefer the ease of inspection in the wing...

My 2 cents
Pat Stewart

Pat, would you happen to have any pictures of your installation you could share? Thanks!