WISC

Well Known Member
I?ve had the RV bug for a while. I?ve looked at a few RV 6/7's to purchase but none have been the one either due to price or wasn?t just right for my situation.
I am considering trying to build one. I realize this is a huge time commitment. I am trying to read about the first few critical steps in getting started. I?m sure somewhere in the building forum there has to be a beginners checklist or some thread about how to start and what to expect. However, I can?t seem to locate any such checklist or thread. Most threads seem like issues for guys who are fairly far along in the building process. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Plus, if I buy a project how do I ensure that I am abiding by the 51% rule? This seems a little vague to me, who or how is it determined that yes only 50% of the work has been done or no sorry 52% has already been completed.
I apologize if these are novice questions, but that is a good adjective to describe my RV knowledge.

Look up introductory builder's classes and attend one of those. These day-long to weekend-long classes will teach you the basic skills needed to build a plane and give you a chance to get all of your "getting started" questions answered in person, and it may be worth traveling a considerable distance to attend one if there aren't any offered in your area. In the class I attended in Eugene, Oregon, some of the attendees flew in commercially from as far away as Denver. The EAA offers these classes, as do a lot of private companies. I'm pretty sure Van's lists many providers on their web site. Ever attend AirVenture/Oshkosh? There are lots of hands-on seminars there from sheet-metal work to fiberglass work to welding to ...

As for the 51% rule, you won't have to worry about it if you buy an RV kit from Van's. Even the quickbuilds have been determined to easily meet the rule. At an AirVenture presentation in 2008, Van said that their quickbuilds require the builder to do about 57% of the work when computed "the FAA way", while the standard builds require the builder to do about 92% of the work overall.

To build or not to build, that is the question...

Maybe you are not asking the right questions. How about:

1. Do you like to build stuff? Do you like to make things with your hands? Is it fun for you?
2. Do you have the time and space to build?
3. Do you like building as much (or even MORE) than flying?
4. Do you have a friend or friends who can help?

My guess is that in real life, you can buy an RV at the same price or cheaper than you can build one. MANY folks start building, and make big investments, and discover maybe they like flying more than building. Or they do not have the time or patience to build. Or maybe no place to build after the wife (or SO) lays down the law about parking the car in the driveway instead of the garage.

This is a good alternative:
===================
1. Setup a money market account.
2. Deposit the amount you would have paid for the Empanage kit (don't forget tax and shipping!) into the Money Market (MM) account.
3. Wait a little time
4. Go through the Van's catalog and pick out a few accessories for the emp kit (Electric trim?) but instead of buying those parts, place that amount in the money market account.
5. Wait a little more. Keep reading Van's Airforce! See how others are doing.
6. Deposit into the MM account, the amount (with shipping!) for the Wing kit.
7. Check out some other vendors, pick a few options for the wings (landing lights, auto-pilot servos, strobes, etc.) and place that amount into the MM account.
8. Wait a little more time, say a year or so if you are not retired. 6 months if you are retired.
9. Place the Fuselage money into the account.
10. Do the accessory thing for the fuse, and deposit the money into the MM account.
11. Wait a bit. (Ooo.. NOW your chomping!)
12. Finish up by placing the money you would have used for the engine, interior, finish kit, paint, radios, and panel into the MM account.
13. Wait 30 days.
14. Write a letter to the FAA and ask where the nearest weather reporting station is to you home airport is. THIS IS AN IMPORTANT STEP!
15. When you receive a reply, Photo copy the FAA letter onto pink paper (Kinko's can help with this)
16. Frame the pink copy and place it on your wall.
17. Now, go to VANSAIRFORCE.NET, Barnstormers, and/or your local (or not so local) EAA chapter and find a plane to buy, get a qualifed pre-buy, and

VIOLA!

You got your RV! :D

Dkb

I?ve had the RV bug for a while. I?ve looked at a few RV 6/7's to purchase but none have been the one either due to price or wasn?t just right for my situation...

Just jump in

I've been trolling builder sites and VAF for a long time. I've always wanted to build and finally was in a place in life where I could. So, I bought the basic Isham tool kit and the emmpenage, the initial investment was not so bad. And after only 3 weeks my horizontal stab and vert stab are done! The build process is a bit of a learning curve, but you catch on quickly. The reward of seeing bits and pieces that you assembled that look like airplane parts is unbelievable.

My advice, just do it. As stated before, go to a workshop and learn the basic skills. Buy one of the tool kits and the tail. If, after the tail kit you feel as though building's not for you, the financial loss wont be that bad. But chances are you're gonna be hooked. All the best.

I don't think there is really a 'checklist' because each builder generally takes their own route. I must have kicked around the idea for a dozen years or so (what I initially wanted to build was a Fokker Dr. I but I ended up with the RV because I wanted one to fly). I highly recommend Kit Airplane Construction (and not just because it has RVs on the cover). My first edition copy has been just about worn out. It has chapters on the basics (build/buy, costs/budget, choosing a kit) as well as particulars about the major construction methods.

Were I to outline a checklist for you, it would be:
1. Research
1a. Attend the Sportair or similar building clinics
1b. Locate EAA chapter and other RV owners/builders in your area.
1c. Visit the factory/get a demo ride.
2. Budget
2a. Have a 2/3 year plan to have the cost of: kits, engine, avionics, + 10% for things unforeseen.
2b. Be sure you have the starting capital: cost of empennage kit + about $2k for start-up tools and jigs.
2c. Don't forget about workspace and eventually hangar space and insurance. If you don't have, you must rent.
3. First steps
3a. Equip a workshop. This is also an intro to building - if you find you hate it you are not out a huge amount and you at least have something to show for your investment as it can be repurposed to other projects.
3b. Help other builders - great way to gain experience.
3c. Order the first kit.
3d. Be sure to get plenty of help. Not that one person can't build an empennage, but you're really borrowing expertise and gaining knowledge.
4. Keep going

David gave some good perspective on the build/buy decision. I recommend taking a workshop no matter what you decide. If you end up buying an RV, the skills will still be handy. I know at least one RVer who has rebuilt parts of their RV and gotten an A&P to sign them off.

Shannon was right on about the 51% rule. You'll find a lot on the forums about it but the bottom line is if you build an RV you are easily in compliance. There are some issues about 'Assist Centers' and how much they can do for you and some discussion of how buying a partially completed kit affects the rule (generally, not much; a bigger issue is quality and/or living with another person's building decisions). This is part of the 'Research' checklist item for you.

Good luck whatever you decide.