WISC

Well Known Member
I must start out and say I am 100% a novice in regards to building airplanes, trying to figure out if a complete airplane or a project is a good deal. I recently took a non flying job with the Navy.
I really want a RV. I believe I a 6 or 7 would be best to take my children flying with me.
I?m sure someone has posted similar questions so if someone has a link to such a post that would be great.

1. Can a novice with no experience or knowledge of aircraft construction realistically build a quality airplane?
2. If so how do you recommend I gain knowledge on the things I need to learn? I assume assisting someone would be the best way but what if that isn?t possible?
3. If I find a plane for sale or a project how do I get someone who I can trust and with RV experience to do a pre-buy inspection.
I have many more questions but I?m sure the answers to these will keep me busy for a while.
Thank you

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Dean, you have already started at the right place.

Good to have you here, you are going to get a real education.

First thing I would recommend is to join EAA.

Next, find a builder close enough to visit, and also find someone to give you a ride in an RV.

Good luck, hang on and enjoy the ride:D

What to build?

Thats easy, if you want to build a no hassle plane in 2 years or less, build an RV12!

John
RV12 N1212K

Mike
Thanks for the post. I got a ride in a RV-6 the other day with a group called the Blackjacks. It was great and I am hooked!.
Dean

Sportair

I suggest you look into taking the Sportair RV assembly workshop. Like you, I had no building experience, and the workshop gives you a good taste for what you may be getting into.

I, too, had zero experience when I began and chose to dive right in. I agree with the other posters, if you're hesitant, find someone in your area who will spend an hour or more with you showing you the basics or go to a Sportair Workshop - it's worth the time and investment! It's not very difficult but does require a long-term investment in time, money, and energy.

Good luck!

1. Can a novice with no experience or knowledge of aircraft construction realistically build a quality airplane?
Yes! But it takes lots of work and perserverance.

2. If so how do you recommend I gain knowledge on the things I need to learn? I assume assisting someone would be the best way but what if that isn?t possible?
+1 on the Sportair workshops. An alternative is to find a local EAA Chapter, join, and hook up with fellow builders. Also another way is to buy one of Van's practice projects (airfoil or tool box), get some tools, watch the EAA videos, http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1431564069?bclid=1432781645&bctid=57438077001 , and teach yourself (basically what I did minus the videos--they weren't available at the time).

3. If I find a plane for sale or a project how do I get someone who I can trust and with RV experience to do a pre-buy inspection.
Talk to your local EAA Chapter members and see if they have an A&P they trust.
Welcome to VAF and good luck!

I must start out and say I am 100% a novice in regards to building airplanes, trying to figure out if a complete airplane or a project is a good deal......
The first place to start is to honestly ask yourself if you possess a suitable temperment and track record of completing complex or tedius projects you started in the past. You are now considering a YEARS long project. By nature, are you a problem solver? By nature, do you like working with your hands? By circumstance...and that includes significant monetary resources... does your dream enjoy at least mild support of your spouse and family?

I am going to swim against the tide here and offer this; Joining the EAA is a wonderful thing for what it is but has little to do with actually building an RV. Heresy? I have been an EAA member for decades and am an EAA technical counselor. The only EAA specific resources I have ever taken advantage when it comes to building RV's is calling upon other technical counselors from time to time or borrowing the Chapter scales when I need them. Nothing...NOTHING replaces visiting and consulting with other RV builders whenever possible. The fact that they may be EAA members is incidental.

Lots of projects are purchased by temporarily enthusiatic would-be kit builders. Time and circumstance have an inexorable way of culling out the starters from the finishers and as straightforward as RV construction is, there are PLENTY of aborted projects out there to be had. Some of those partially constructed projects are crudely assembled and best left abandoned.

Since you are completely inexperienced, I think the odds favor your choice of selecting a new RV7 kit over a partially built RV6. Because of its advanced matched hole technology, there is a very significant difference between building a 6 and 7 and the latter requires much less in the way of time, tools and skill level. Additionally, if you couple a Van's FWF kit with an OEM engine, you will have many of the parts, including engine accessories and hoses already kitted up for you in addition to well written drawings that help guide you through the completion process.

Building an airplane is a complex, time consuming task and to downplay what is really involved does you no service. If you decide you are really prepared to build an airplane despite the many challenges it will offer you, I say jump in with both feet.

The regulations for amateur built aircraft emphasize that this activity is "for the education and recreation" of the builder. What you will be giving yourself is an education in the technology and craft of light aircraft construction. You must be willing to learn all you can about each process and be able to take the time to practice the craft until you are able to produce "aircraft quality" workmanship. How you get there is up to the individual. How do you learn best? From books, from taking a course, from others? You should use all the available methods, but concentrate on those that you learn best from.

I started with helping my AME with the annual inspections on my Cessna 150. I continued by taking a Transport Canada approved Aircraft Mechanics correspondence course. This gave me a solid practical and theoretical understanding of structures, systems, etc. What was missing was the manual skills of painting, riveting, etc. Only one way to get those, by doing. You may choose to take a course if they are close by, but with patience you can develop them yourself.

I bought a bunch of tools that I knew I would need, then, with some trepidation, ordered an empennage kit. I promised myself that if it was too much for me, or I didn't like it, well I was only into the kit for a grand or so, and could sell the tools. I am currently building the fuel tanks and the wings are complete less the bottom skins. I have the fuselage kit and the finish kit. I have been at it since 2004, with a few breaks for courses, illness, unemployment, other people's projects, etc. Over 1000 hours so far and it has become part of my life.

You are fortunate that you live in an area with lots of RVs, so you can visit lots of projects and finished airplanes. Be sure to define your mission. Be sure it includes aerobatics, otherwise an RV-9 might suit you better. Be sure you only ever want to take one passenger, otherwise an RV-10 may be needed (much bigger project).

Hardest part? To start.

I really want a RV.

This quote is the best start you can have. Its not so much the technical difficulty (although you will be tested) as it is the perseverance and determination to keep plugging along that will get your plane flying (of course I'm not there yet, but thats what I've found so far). Dont mistake the fact that it is work and a substantial time and money committment.

Beyond that, as others have said. I highly recommend a SportAir class and Van's practice kits. Also, finding a local EAA chapter and hopefully other RV builders/pilots that you can ask questions when you get stuck. And of course this site is a great source of inspiration and knowledge. I promise you, you will learn a ton during the process and thats always a good thing in my book. Good luck!

It's not........

your current skills that will keep you from building an RV. Just kidding, but I think a "Drunk Monkey" could build one, particularly with the match drill & quick built options now present. The only questions you have to ask yourself are "Do I have the tenacity, perserverance and money to see this through. If your nature is not to give up, you will probably be okay. You will certainly learn a whole bunch. I agree that the EAA will not be that benificial. Just find a builder close to comiserate with and follow this forum.

I was feeling so good about myself till I realized I was not much different then a "drunk monkey" only with some tenacity and perseverance :)
So I agree with Chuck as what it will take to build one, whether you are the first time builder or not.