Same place I had my FloScan for 16 years. Under my left knee, between the fuel selector valve and the boost pump.
Works great!

On my firewall (engine side), near the bottom, pilot's side. Plumbed immediately upstream of of the carb.

red cube

in the #6 line between the engine driven fuel pump and the carb!
Seems to work great so far.......but only about 20 hours in it!

When I had the carb I had it after the elect boost pump in the cabin.
Switched over to FI and put it between the servo and the spider.

On my firewall (engine side), near the bottom, pilot's side. Plumbed immediately upstream of of the carb.
Hi Phil - do you have a picture? I was figuring to mount it in the line from the engine driven pump to the carb... but trying to determine if hanging in the line or hard mounted to the firewall would be better. If hard mounted, I'd like to do that now...

Mine is between the engine mounted pump and the carb mounted on the firewall with a piece of heavy angle... The bolts holding the angle intersect the cross brace of the firewall.

Once I zoned in on the correct K factor, mine is now accurate to withing a tenth at fillup....

I mounted mine just downstream of the gascolator. I am not liking that. I am planing on moving it to the aft side of the firewall downstream of the elec pump.

Brantel - How did you find your "K" factor? I have mine set at the factor 68,000.

In my 6A, the floscan is just past the electric fuel pump, along the left sidewall, as this is where the lines were routed in the six. If I ever change to a Red Cube, it would be installed in the same place. Since the elec. fuel pump isn't used much, the overall effect on the fuel meter, when filling up is miniscule.

I don't especially like the idea of having these units hanging between the engine pump & carb fitting. Nor the front firewall area because of heat & fire sleeves.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Mine is in the same place (just past gascolator) and works poorly there. Don't know why Dynon recommends that location. Everything else I read says to put it just upstream of the carb. Difficult place to install directly in line though as distance is too short. I've ordered new hose and fittings and intend to move it to left side firewall and run hose from mechanical pump to it and then in to carb. The Floscan may be better if you want to mount in line as it's smaller and lighter.

I have installed mine in the tunnel between the Electric pump and mechanical pump with no issues and amazing accuracy. I have 200 hours with this setup.

Started at 68,000 and tweaked it when I would get fuel. Eventually you can zone in on it...That is if it is reading accurately. If you have erratic readings, that will make it more difficult to home in on...

I mounted mine just downstream of the gascolator. I am not liking that. I am planing on moving it to the aft side of the firewall downstream of the elec pump.

Brantel - How did you find your "K" factor? I have mine set at the factor 68,000.

Any Photo?

I don't have any but will try to take one on my next trip to the hanger. It should be easy enough and the installation is very straight forward in RV7A. Mine is installed about 4-5 inches away from the FW and I had to cut a small section of the tunnel cover as it is taller but my floor carpet covers it neatly.

I am amazed at its accuracy. Last weekend we took a trip that we burned 22.3 gallons according to the FF meter. It took 22.2 gallon to fill the tanks

Mehrdad
P.S. My buddy's RV7 has it installed in the exact same place also with over 200 hours and no issues.

I don't have any but will try to take one on my next trip to the hanger. It should be easy enough and the installation is very straight forward in RV7A. Mine is installed about 4-5 inches away from the FW and I had to cut a small section of the tunnel cover as it is taller but my floor carpet covers it neatly.

I am amazed at its accuracy. Last weekend we took a trip that we burned 22.3 gallons according to the FF meter. It took 22.2 gallon to fill the tanks

Mehrdad
P.S. My buddy's RV7 has it installed in the exact same place also with over 200 hours and no issues.

Thanks in advance for the photo as I'm about to redo mine. Currently mine is in between mechanical pump & carb (plumbing nightmare forward of firewall). I want to greatly simplify & minimize everything forward of the firewall.

RV-6 red cube

Same place I had my FloScan for 16 years. Under my left knee, between the fuel selector valve and the boost pump.
Works great!

Hey Mel,

Do you have a filter before the cube.

I want to mount mine in the cabin also but that will put it before the gascolator on the firewall.

I want to put the cube between the fuel pump and the thru the firewall fitting.

Gascolator in wing root.

Gary,

I put my gascolator in the right wing root. Fuel lines go: Tanks - Selector - back out to gascolator in right wing root - back to centre line and the Aux Fuel Pump - etc - etc.

I did this so as to keep my gascolator out of the hot engine compartment and in a cool zone but it would also address your question.

I know some folks have put a pair of filters or gascolators in - one in each wingroot - but I wanted my fuel selector between my tanks and gascolator so I can service the gascolator without worrying about dumping the contents of the fuel tanks on the ground. (Here in the UK the regs don't allow remote valves in the fuel line.)

FWIW, I put my Red Cube up front between the FI Servo and the Spider.

Filter

Do you have a filter before the cube.

I want to mount mine in the cabin also but that will put it before the gascolator on the firewall.

I want to put the cube between the fuel pump and the thru the firewall fitting.

It is highly recommended that you have a filter prior to both the elect pump and the "cube". I used a FlowEzy 74 micron.

In cabin photos

Walt... I think the filter is a good idea. Anyone have any photos of their in cabin red cube set up. I know Mel must have. Walt where is your set up and do you have any photos. I have seen some big honkin filters in early -6's but not lately.

red cube with homemade bracket

I mounted my red cube following Brain's lead. I made a similar bracket that is riveted to the firewall brace:

I decided to have the cube mount below the bracket - to keep it as low as possible per the EI instructions. I notched the backet for the wires. The inlet is towards the center of the firewall. My plan is to have the hose come down from the engine driven pump into the sensor inlet, maybe with a 45 degree adapter. The outlet hose will go on the sensor nearest the outside of the plane, and will route to the carb inlet.

The cube is located on the lower left center of the firewall, attached to the vertical piece of angle that forms the side of the firewall recess. I couldn't copy Brian's exact location since I have my 2nd heat box there.

Ignore my finger, I don't have the long AN4 bolts that the red cube needs.

Last edited:
Fuel Flow Transducer...Requires some sort of gizmo to connect it too for totalizing, fuel computing, etc. Most EFIS units with engine monitoring capabilities, engine monitors and a few stand alone units work with it...

Thanks for all the replies and info!

I decided to mount the red cube on the left side of the firewall between the fuel pump and carb. The photo (link below) shows a hefty 2.5 x 2 x 3/16" piece of angle - it's what I had on hand. The long "walrus tusk" bolts are just temporary while I wait for my shipment of parts. The angle mount bracket is attached to the firewall with two countersunk #10 screws through the firewall stiffener angle. I will put some lightening holes in the angle, or may replace it with some 1/8" angle that I have on order.

This placement will require either a 45 or 90 degree elbow AN fitting entering the red cube and a 45 degree fitting exiting the red cube. Also, the flow is just below the carb so I am adhering to the directions by not having the flow go down out of the red cube.

I had first wanted to mount it above the gascolator but a few folks seemed unhappy with this - as well as my local tech advisor. Inside the cockpit puts it on the wrong side of the of gascolator so I chose the location that some folks seem to think will work best for my set up. I am done with the fuel lines inside the cockpit, so I am not wanting to go back and redo a bunch of that to accomodate the red cube. Would have been nice to know that I would even have to install a fuel flow transducer a good while back, but that's kit building!
http://www.aclog.com/rv-9a/images/Firewall%20Forward/9733d1cb16fbf7d0664631a1df441a5810218_RedCubeInstall.jpg

Fuel filter install

Walt... I think the filter is a good idea. Anyone have any photos of their in cabin red cube set up. I know Mel must have. Walt where is your set up and do you have any photos. I have seen some big honkin filters in early -6's but not lately.

Gary,
I have a FlowEzy 31LA http://flowezyfilters.freestarter.com/ in the line imediately following the fuel selector which runs along the floor. I had to give the center cover a little relief opening to accomodate the diameter of the filter which was easily covered with a curved piece of sheet metal. I used the 74 micron which is what Facet recommends. AFP uses basically the same filter as a pre-filter for thier pump but in 63 micron I believe. I used this filter with my original carb set up for a couple of years and now been using it for the AFP FI for the last couple of years with no issues.

With the carb I had the cube mounted to the firewall on a bracket (inside) between the facet pump and the exit to the gascolator which was mounted per van's setup on the right FWF side.

In-cabin red cube install

Walt... Thanks that's the set up I was thinking about even though I am completing a -6. I installed the center floor plate cover and ran the fuel lines just like the -7 drawings show. Sounds like a plan. In-cabin red cube for me.