Arlen

Well Known Member
I changed my N-number and need to replace this little decal on my panel.

5b1oqg.jpg

The new one needs to say:

RV-6
N4AS

A cheap, dirty and fast way to make em is to print em on a "clear" label you can buy at any office supply store or Wal-Mart. If you use an InkJet printer, you must laminate over the top of the ink with either another label or clear tape.

You can get a nice engraved metal tag for only a few bucks at a trophy shop.

DSC06107.jpg

Last edited:
Ahhh.

That's what I'll do....engraved metal.

Thanks!

(Now, if I can just get this old label off easily and without scratching anything....)

If you haven't done it yet, get your airworthiness certificate updated at your FSDO. If the N number on your AW cert doesn't match the one on your airplane and your registration, it could cause an issue if ramp checked.

If you haven't done it yet, get your airworthiness certificate updated at your FSDO. If the N number on your AW cert doesn't match the one on your airplane and your registration, it could cause an issue if ramp checked.

Yes.

Form was signed and sent to FAA on the date of N-number change so they can send to me a new Registration, and I went to the FSDO yesterday and got the new Airworthiness Certificate (required within 10 days of changing the number).

Great number! N4AS.
Not many single digits left out there.

Only thing better is if you would have had a RV4 ;)

Last edited:
That would be these?

Labeling by akarmy, on Flickr

Made by one of these

Labeling by akarmy, on Flickr

Actually not.

I designed that label in Visio and printed it on water slide decal material from the local hobby shop. It was applied to the painted panel and then about 4 coats of crystal clear acrylic followed by a couple of coats of satin.

You will likely have to remove the panel and sand it out. You will likely then have to touch up the color, apply your new label, and then do the clear coats again.

Alternatively you could simply have a label or decal made up that is opaque and place it on top of the original.

Panel placard

Arlen: That one came from a vendor at Sun N' Fun several years ago. I would think that any print supply office or office supply would be able to make one. If not, sign companies can do it.
Giles :D

Leave it to Martin to do it right. Looks great, and you should be able to cover it over by the same or similar method.
Giles

Unfortunately I also applied the spray recommended by the hobby store to the decal after printing and before the acrylic. It slightly "rejected" the acrylic spray, which is why the decal edge is so obvious and why there are some dimples in the acrylic overlaying the decal.

Next time I won't use that spray.

Yes.

Form was signed and sent to FAA on the date of N-number change so they can send to me a new Registration, and I went to the FSDO yesterday and got the new Airworthiness Certificate (required within 10 days of changing the number).

Along with a NEW set of ...EXPERIMENTAL OPERATING LIMITATIONS... I hope.

Along with a NEW set of ...EXPERIMENTAL OPERATING LIMITATIONS... I hope.

?? Are you referring to:
-----------------------------------------

? 91.319 Aircraft having experimental certificates: Operating limitations.

(a) No person may operate an aircraft that has an experimental certificate?
-(1) For other than the purpose for which the certificate was issued; or
-(2) Carrying persons or property for compensation or hire.

(b) No person may operate an aircraft that has an experimental certificate outside of an area assigned by the Administrator until it is shown that?
-(1) The aircraft is controllable throughout its normal range of speeds and throughout all the maneuvers to be executed; and
-(2) The aircraft has no hazardous operating characteristics or design features.

(c) Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator in special operating limitations, no person may operate an aircraft that has an experimental certificate over a densely populated area or in a congested airway. The Administrator may issue special operating limitations for particular aircraft to permit takeoffs and landings to be conducted over a densely populated area or in a congested airway, in accordance with terms and conditions specified in the authorization in the interest of safety in air commerce.

(d) Each person operating an aircraft that has an experimental certificate shall?
-(1) Advise each person carried of the experimental nature of the aircraft;
-(2) Operate under VFR, day only, unless otherwise specifically authorized by the Administrator; and
-(3) Notify the control tower of the experimental nature of the aircraft when operating the aircraft into or out of airports with operating control towers.

(e) The Administrator may prescribe additional limitations that the Administrator considers necessary, including limitations on the persons that may be carried in the aircraft.

Your new N number must be on the OPERATING LIMITATIONS phase 2, for your aircraft also.
This is carried in your aircraft, and is part of the Airworthiness Certificate.

Last edited: