ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
Hi all:

I have an O-320 B2B that I'm starting to get ready for my RV-9A. I have a couple of questions:

1-I don't have a vacuum pump. Where can I get a 60430 Vacuum Pump Cover for a reasonable price? I can probably make one if I had to.

2-I removed the studs that are there to mount the vacuum pump and now it looks like I didn't need to. The parts manual shows the 61098 Vacuum Pump adapter in place with the Vacuum Pump cover over top of that. They also show 4 hokey spacers that fit over the studs to make them work with the cover. Does anybody see any problem with leaving the studs out and installing the plate directly to the engine with bolts?

3-I'm not using the tach drive. What's a good way to cap this? I don't see a cap listed in the parts manual.

Thanks!

Kelly,

I accidentally bought an extra tach drive cover from Avery a few months back and its not worth the postage to send it back. PM me a postal address and I'll send it to you for free - buy me a beer some day down the road.

greg

Hi all:

2-I removed the studs that are there to mount the vacuum pump and now it looks like I didn't need to. The parts manual shows the 61098 Vacuum Pump adapter in place with the Vacuum Pump cover over top of that. They also show 4 hokey spacers that fit over the studs to make them work with the cover. Does anybody see any problem with leaving the studs out and installing the plate directly to the engine with bolts?

Thanks!

Kelly,

I am not quite sure from you post if you intend to leave the vac pump adapter in place. My local aircraft engine overhaul shop removed my vac pump adapter assembly (and gear) completely and also removed the studs.The cover plate was then bolted to the engine. As a bonus, removing the adapter (and gear) saves about 1 lb weight.

Fin
9A, 0320 D1A

I have an extra vacuum pad cover. I think I sold the last one for $20 plus $5 shipping. Let me knwo if you want it and I can get it out later this week.

Vic

Hi all:

I have an O-320 B2B that I'm starting to get ready for my RV-9A. I have a couple of questions:

snipped

snipped

Thanks!

Kelly,
Without the vacuum pump adapter and it's related shaft/gear, it's perfectly OK to mount the cover directly onto the accessory housing. Make sure that the mounting bolts do not extend beyond the inner edge of the accessory cover. You wouldn't want them to contact any of the internal moving parts.
Charlie Kuss

I'll take it!!

I have an extra vacuum pad cover. I think I sold the last one for $20 plus $5 shipping. Let me knwo if you want it and I can get it out later this week.

Vic

Vic:

I'll take it. I'll PM you.

Fin:

Yea, I was thinking that leaving the adapter in place would be dead weight plus a spinning gear that did nothing but wear.

Thanks for all the info on this. What a great forum with a great bunch of people!! I can't wait to get out there with a flying airplane and meet y'all!!

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Is the cover special?

I have made a cover to go directly onto my accessory housing where my vacuum pump adapter would be, but I am wondering if there is anything special about the cover, little ports or what not. I see in the back of the accessory housing, there is the main hole for the pump gear, and a couple of little holes as well. Are those ports ok to block off. Thanks

Randy

I still need one.

I'm still looking for the vacuum cover. I have yet to make one but if somebody has one laying around I'd like to talk to you about buying it. That will save me some time.

Hi all:

1-I don't have a vacuum pump. Where can I get a 60430 Vacuum Pump Cover for a reasonable price? I can probably make one if I had to.

3-I'm not using the tach drive. What's a good way to cap this? I don't see a cap listed in the parts manual.

Thanks!

Hi Kelly,

I ran into this a few years ago on my engine, just needed a simple plate with 4 holes to bolt directly to the engine. I called A.E.R.O at 800-362-3044 and asked for a 64030 cover plate. He says "yup, got a used one here, gray paint, 8 bucks." Done.

I think it showed up at my door 3 days later.

vacuum pump cover

I have a cover it you still need it. What happen with Vic's? I will take 20.00 + 5.00 for shipping.

Brushing up on an old thread:

I need one too!

Removing all of the vacuum stuff off Heinz' RV4 and going with electrons. Rather than leaving the pump on there, I'd prefer to take it ALL off.

Does anyone have a 60430 cover or know where I can get one?

THANKS!!

Hans

I need one too!

Removing all of the vacuum stuff off Heinz' RV4 and going with electrons. Rather than leaving the pump on there, I'd prefer to take it ALL off.

THANKS!!

Hans

Hans,
Why not simply make one from 3/16" or 1/4" aluminum plate? You can use the gasket for a template to locate the bolt holes. It doesn't even have to be 2024-T3 aluminum. 6061-T6 would work. Seems like it would be easier to make one that to pay international shipping to buy one.
Charlie Kuss

Hans, I have an 0-235 that I want to fit a pump on when when we rebuild the engine. It has a plate on it that we will be removing. I assumed there would be a gear drive inside the accessory case, and I didn't realise an adapter was required.
I would be interested in doing a deal to exchange parts plus the $$$ difference to buy the pump, adaptor and gear (I'll check it out tomorrow to see if I need it).

Here is a photo (as we picked it up)

Bob.

4046553704_b97e86c3ca_b_d.jpg

I need one too!

THANKS!!

Hans

Last edited: