rolivi

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I've got many ideas about what would be awesome in the panel, and many ideas about what would be affordable in MY panel.

My latest idea is that I'll buy a GTX-330 to have mode S delivering traffic to my 496 that already has XM weather... So that's pretty kewl....

Then, a GX-60 for GPS approaches....

Question: should I also be looking for a NAV/COM like an Sl-30 to have ILS and LOC approaches? I'm not sure if that opens up places the GX-60 can't get me to.

Any thoughts?

I've got many ideas about what would be awesome in the panel, and many ideas about what would be affordable in MY panel.

My latest idea is that I'll buy a GTX-330 to have mode S delivering traffic to my 496 that already has XM weather... So that's pretty kewl....

Then, a GX-60 for GPS approaches....

Question: should I also be looking for a NAV/COM like an Sl-30 to have ILS and LOC approaches? I'm not sure if that opens up places the GX-60 can't get me to.

Any thoughts?

Since you asked....
ADSB is coming, if you're buying new think about that.
1. For a lot less than the cost of a 330-SES you can get a Trig TT31 S-ES.
2. You'll need a GPS that meets FAR 91.227 specs to drive either transponder for ADSB-out. The GX-60 cannot output the needed info at the required accuracy.
3. GX-60 is no longer supported. If it breaks,...
4. There are still lots of places where an ILS has lower minimums than an LPV approach. Sometimes that makes a difference. But it's worse: the GX-60 is a TSO 129 box, it can only do non-precision LNAV approaches. But it gets even worse: as a TSO 129 box, it is not approved for IFR UNLESS there is an alternate means of navigation (e.g., VOR) on board.

Bottom Line: You need an SL30 or similar, and it will be your main approach box when the wx is lousy. The GX-60 will get you in places where non-precision minimums is good enough.

Thanks!

Of course this being an interim step to the investment to come....

Bullet 4 + the bottom line guide my decision... Hello drawing board!

more...

Get an adsb-in box and drop xm. The subscription savings will pay for the box in less than two years.

Another option is to get or keep your mode C transponder and go the UAT route. Prices seem to be coming down.

The real cost is if you want LPV-gps approaches. That will get expensive. Only you can decide if it's worth the cost or not, for your flying.

GPS

Make sure to study the GPS option (requirement?) fully. Pull the ILS approach charts for your home field and the surrounding area. Almost all of the ILS approaches near my home field (T31) require ADF (or IFR GPS to identify fixes) and also are NA as an Alternate airport when filing. These same airports all have RNAV (GPS) approaches which also do have Alternate minimums available as well.

KTKI is the nearest airport to me with instrument approach procedures. The VOR approach at KTKI is on the FAA decommission list. If/when that happens I don't see a way to get there under IFR other than an approach certified GPS.

I broke down and put in the GTN-650 last year as I found out more places I wanted/needed to go had similar circumstances. The GTN came in very handy with 900' ceilings that dropped in yesterday.

Andy

ADS-B in option

Looks like I can save some interim investment if I get a GDL39 to do the weather and traffic on my iPad (I use Garmin Pilot already) and leave the transponder as mode C for now....

Then I can sell the 496, and proceed to my GX60 + SL30 solution to have all of the approaches available.

Looks like I can save some interim investment if I get a GDL39 to do the weather and traffic on my iPad (I use Garmin Pilot already) and leave the transponder as mode C for now....

Then I can sell the 496, and proceed to my GX60 + SL30 solution to have all of the approaches available.

I use the GX60 + SL30. Great combination. Displays are no longer available for the GX60 but they still do flat rate repairs on the rest of the unit. I had mine fixed a couple of years ago. iPad and Stratus 2 is what I am using presently for ADS-B in. I like the extra Wx in the cockpit. Much easier for me to use a picture and text than audio from flight watch. I still have the 396 running for backup.