Spindrift

Well Known Member
I'm about to rivet on the main spar of the VS, and it occured to me that wiring the beacon/rear strobe, etc. might be difficult later. I tried to search the forums and the instructions, but couldn't find any references. I'm guessing that it would be possible to run wire from top to bottom in front of the front spar since there aren't any ribs. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,
bill
RV7A, HS done, VS about done

Use the common tail nav/strobe light that is installed in the rudder fairing and skip the wiring of VS altogether. Of course, unless you want one of those cool cameras in the top of the VS.

Wiring preperations

I believe most builders have had similar questions, and the designer (Van) has done a great job of providing adequate drawings and instructions to assemble the airframe and most system basics. However, wiring an airplane (or house,ect.) is very much a "customer choice" option.My advice, and I have re-wired many certified aircraft, is do decide upfront where you want lights, what type and power requirements they have ,ect.,then put the wire runs where they are easiest. If you cant decide, go ahead and put some holes/grommets in place and pull a string through them and tie off at the ends. This way, you have a way to get the wires through later, or pull the string out if you dont need it. Small light flexible conduit with a string is even better...come back later and add the stuff you want. Bottom line in your case if no elaborate lighting/cameras are ever going to be needed, no wiring provisions are needed while building the VS...they go out the bottom and into the lower fairing for the tail light.

Bill E.

I did exactly as Bill E. Suggests....I ran some corrugated conduit in my VS ahead of the spar, between the upper and lower rib, and ran a string through it. This is for a future camera rig, but for now, the string just gets a free ride....the weight penalty is probably negligable...

Paul

Thanks

Thanks for the tips. While I was comfortable rewiring my entire kitchen, for some reason the wiring of the airplane intimidates the heck out of me. I forgot the standard spot for the light is the bottom, not the top of the rudder.

-- bill
RV7a HS & VS done, on to the rudder!