KevinP

Hi guys I have been lurking for a few days now and just joined!

My name is Kevin Pereira I live in San Jose and i'm a college student. I have a PPL I earned from Amelia Reid Aviation that focuses on taildraggers and old school flying, rarely used the GPS in their Citabrias and have yet to use a VOR, isn't that great?:)

Well I am considering starting to build a RV7 pretty soon,maybe later this year, or at least that is my dream. I think it would be a great project for me and give me something to do on my downtime.

My question is, is it wise to start building before you can afford to complete the whole aircraft? I'm not rich my any means but I figure with a part time job I can buy some tools and start building the empennage. I can use my garage so space is not an issue, just money. I'm sure I will be more financially stable when the time comes to buy an engine and avionics, im just wondering if it is common so start constructing without much financial backing in the beginning?

Also, if anyone is located in my area I would love to help build or watch, maybe even ride :D

Thank you for any comments.

Welcome Kevin,

When to start? "You'll start building when you can't stand to not be buiding..."

Just remember that while many start and never finish, those that never start - never finish!

There is nothing wrong with jumping in to the deep end before you are sure that you can swim - a tail kit and tools is only a few thousand bucks after all. Now, if that statement about that amount scares you, then you might not be quite ready yet. But lots of people stretch out the build over a very many years. The question is - how passionate are you about building, about flying, and about aviation in general? If you have enough passion, you'll find a way to finish. There are going to be lots of hurdles along the way, and frankly, if you look at the statistics, most people build in their 50's - after the kids are gone, they are financially stable, and the money is there to spend.

But if you start a tail kit now, you'll learn some valuable lessons about yourself - not only if you have the skill and interest, but if you have the drive. Hey, you might build it and then discover that the real world of a job and family make it too difficult. You can always sell the tail, keep the tools, and if you find you really, really love it, start again when the situation is better for you.

Can you afford a few thousand to find out? Can you afford not to? Answer those questions and you'll know if you have the passion or not!

Good Luck,

Paul

Common question, "why are you building an airplane?" Answer, "cause I can't afford to buy one."

I started with about 2 grand in the budget. I admit, at times I would add up what was left and got a bit depressed but I purchased items as I went and always had more work to do than time to do it.

Don't know if it's all that common to buy the entire kit at once.

April 1st was my three year anniversary building my -8. She's on the gear, mostly painted, engine installed and a fair bit of wiring left to do. Pay as you go is a good way to do it.

Oh, Ratman!

I think a lots of folk could afford 25 grand on a Cessna 152, but really, why would you. If you enjoy performance. Kevin, here's my take. You'll spend: minimum 500$ on tools and $2000 on the emp kit. BUILD AWAY!. Aahh but here's the kicker. If you get hooked, expect to spend BIG bucks after that. But the beauty is that you can take as much time as you want or need to, to finish your project. Oh ya, go for it, because you don't want to think years from now..." Gee, I should have built that RV...." Better to have attempted to build than never to have built at all! Or somethin' like that:)

Yes - I think

"My question is, is it wise to start building before you can afford to complete the whole aircraft?"

College students come in a lot of varieties but your choice in airplanes, training, navigation and the question itself reflects something about you.

First of all I recommend that you attend one of the "RV" construction classes to get some hands on experience and learn the techniques of high quality sheet metal aircraft construction.

Then it makes sense to order a tail kit and start the next level of commitment. It is a big deal but the work offers lots of rewards for the least financial commitment. I Don't think you should rush it.

Getting the best education you can is the very best thing you can do for significant success in the future - it deserves a lot of focus. Building an RV-7 tail is not a bad diversion and in fact it will broaden your knowledge and skill base.

Bob Axsom

I started building in '93 with just enough money for the tail and tools. I deliberately went slow as my wife was in her first year of med school and so I knew we wouldn't have major money for at least eight years. My plan was to take that time and build the airframe. As it turned out, I had no place to build during her residency so the fuselage had to wait until we got settled. I took a couple of years on that until she made partner with the local anesthesia group, at which point the pace accelerated and the past three years have seen me get the project in a hangar, the panel built, the engine just built and hung, and the prop is now on order. I hope to be flying by year's end.

That said, if I had waited until all the money was in place, it might still not be there. Assuming it was, I'd just now be starting and it would probably be two or three more years before I got it in the air. Also, part of the fun of owning a kit (unfinished, I mean) is that you are connected to aviation, even when you can't afford to fly regularly. This project has been a mental anchor for me for the past decade+. Don't wait to start and don't be discouraged if the project gets sidelined from time to time. As long as you don't give up, it'll make it into the air.

Thanks so much guys so the support.

I will for sure try and take a RV construction class and save up some money for tools and the tail section this summer. Hopefully I can start construction around the end of summer.

Looking forward to it!

Thanks again!

Kevin, welcome!

I am a college graduate (August 2006) and started building a year ago. As of right now, I cannot afford the entire aircraft, much less maintenance and a place to put it! I'll get all that figured out as I go. You're a few steps ahead of me - I don't have my PPL yet!

I sold my pride and joy car (1991 Honda Beat) and some project cars (1971 Honda N600's) to fund buying the tools and empennage. One of the great things about building these airplanes is that you don't have to drop the whole motherload of money at one time. Buy the next kit when you can afford it.

Good luck in your decision...

Hi guys I have been lurking for a few days now and just joined!

My name is Kevin Pereira I live in San Jose and i'm a college student. I have a PPL I earned from Amelia Reid Aviation that focuses on taildraggers and old school flying, rarely used the GPS in their Citabrias and have yet to use a VOR, isn't that great?:)

Well I am considering starting to build a RV7 pretty soon,maybe later this year, or at least that is my dream. I think it would be a great project for me and give me something to do on my downtime.

My question is, is it wise to start building before you can afford to complete the whole aircraft? I'm not rich my any means but I figure with a part time job I can buy some tools and start building the empennage. I can use my garage so space is not an issue, just money. I'm sure I will be more financially stable when the time comes to buy an engine and avionics, im just wondering if it is common so start constructing without much financial backing in the beginning?

Also, if anyone is located in my area I would love to help build or watch, maybe even ride :D

Thank you for any comments.

Hello, Kevin.

I don't want to discourage you from building the perfect (RV of course) airplane. There is nothing wrong with taking a long time to build and pay as you go. I think that someone willing to scrounge for parts and go with used parts could still build one of these planes for under $35,000.00. Maybe even cheaper.

But the down side would most likely be that you would put all your resources into the building of your plane.

I think if I were in your position, IE starting out with very little resources, I would think hard about weather I wanted to fly planes or build them. If you start down the road of build, you won't have the money to fly much.

Here are some steps that I would take.

1. Join EAA.
2. Find a local chapter and go the the meetings. Find someone there building an RV or anything else.
3. Offer to help them build. You will learn something and also get a change to determine how much you like building. With EAA chapter friends you should be able to bum a ride on all kinds of planes. Also if you are helping someone else you don't need to spend money on a beginner building class.

4. Depending on where you interest are at this point, start collecting tools and order the tail kit. Or spend you money on getting time in somebody else's airplane.

Good luck and I am glad that you are in the forum.

Kent

I just want to second everyone else who told you to go for it. One of the reasons I opted to build an RV (ignoring all of the other great reasons) was the fact that I could get started then, while I wasn't able to afford an entire plane. I felt like I was still making progress toward my goals in aviation despite not having much money.

On the other hand, as some have noted, you'll have less money/time for recreational flying, which could be discouraging. The way I see it, I'm trading the lack of flying now for the ability to fly as much as I want (heh) in the future.

My vote is to absolutely start ASAP. When I started building I could barely afford the tail kit and had to wait and save for tools as I needed them. Since I had more time than money I spent some of that time really working the parts I had. I also met many RV folks and some have become good friends. Through these I have quite a lot of "RV time" including back-seat time to Oshkosh and other long trips. Twenty-twenty hindsight tells me I should have started sooner. Life moves on and changes; I can now afford more and am purchasing the engine, prop, and instruments (oh, and I bought a flying airplane too :)). Someone else has already eluded to: if you don't start it's guaranteed you will never finish it. Best of luck to you !!!!

Kevin:

About 20-years ago, I told a co-work (that was about ready to retire) that I was going to build an airplane when I retire. He told me: "Do not wait till you retire. Do it now so that you can enjoy it when you retire."

I was in the same boat as you. How was I going to afford to build it? I asked myself, how much can I afford to spend to fly it IF someone were to give me the airplane right now? At that time, my answer was $75 / week. I set it up so that $75 out of every weekly paycheck went into an account in my credit union. Fast forward 8.5 years, I make first flight in my airplane and everything is PAID for. That was September 1997. I now have 2,082 hour on the airplane.

Have you bought the manual yet??

Go ahead and spend 50 bucks and get the manual. Sit out on the back porch with you favorite beverage of choice and read it from cover to cover.

That's what I did. Cost me more in a good box of cigars and scotch than the manual. I studied it for several weeks learning all I could before I ordered the first kit.

That will give you more time and info to decide. Besides, it seems like I read somewhere they won't sell you the first kit till you read the manual anway.

Webb
RV7a N32WW

Thanks a lot for all the wise word guys it is much appreciated!

I'm switching schools from Chico State to San Jose state and moving back home. The main reason was I could now afford to fly again after a 1.5 year of being grounded by having to pay rent. So building an RV wont take away my flying time.

I will have the whole garage to myself later this year which will be perfect.

Very excited about this.

NOW

The one regret I have with this project is not doing it sooner.

Once you get out of college, life has a way of pulling you in many different directions (at least it did me). Get a job, buy a car, meet a girl, get married, buy a house, have a kid, blah, blah, blah. Not that those aren't good things.

My point is, all of them will be competing for your limited resources (time and $). Start the airplane NOW, so that it is already a part of your life before other things start happening. Just my $.02.

Well, it depends on what you want. I probably started the youngest of any builder I personally know. I bought my tail at 19, and am now 22. Guess what, the tails done, I built a jig to hold it, and it sits while I pay off my college bills.

The question is, do you have debt? If you do, I would ABSOLUTELY not start building. Take all those other steps, join EAA, attend meetings, become an airport bum. Figure out where all the talented/gifted/knowledgeable people at your airport are and learn as much as you can by helping (or bugging) them.

If you don't have debt, pick a model and go for it. Nothing like carrying 27 units, having a full time job, and building an RV at the same time. I know :).

Last edited by a moderator:

Once you get out of college, life has a way of pulling you in many different directions (at least it did me). Get a job, buy a car, meet a girl, get married, buy a house, have a kid, blah, blah, blah. Not that those aren't good things.

My point is, all of them will be competing for your limited resources (time and $). Start the airplane NOW, so that it is already a part of your life before other things start happening. Just my $.02.

Hey Brad I emailed you a few days ago, if your available any time between may 9-11th I would love to check out the RV7 you are building

-Kevin

Yup, I remember. I should be around, but email or call a few days prior to work out the details.

Maybe I will plan a deburring lesson for that day. :D

Last edited:
Listen to Brad

The man is right - you will meet a girl, etc......better set up the rules now because when you get a pretty little thing in the background, guilt trips happen next!!!!

Set 'em up by starting the building thing. Maybe you'll get lucky and get an airport honey than will hold the bucking bar for you!!!!

Last edited:
I agree with starting ASAP, but make sure you really like building and are willing to stick with it for years(both time and money). I just passed the 20K invested point and it is still just a piece of installation art. There are days when I say... man I could have a flyable plane for this kind of cash. Of couse I still think the hardest part of building a plane is mailing the first check. They seem to get progressively easier as the aluminum looks more and more like a plane.

The man is right - you will meet a girl, etc......better set up the rules now because when you get a pretty little thing in the background, guilt trips happen next!!!!

Set 'em up by starting the building thing. Maybe you'll get lucky and get an airport honey than will hold the bucking bar for you!!!!
This is SOOOOOooooo true!

I ordered the tail kit just before I met my wife. Some of our early dates were spent in the basement working on the plane. The fuselage kit was ordered the week before the wedding and now that it is finished and we are ready to travel she comes up pregnant and I'm still trying to figure that out. :D

As it turned out, she bucked or drove at least a third of the rivets in the -9 and gets upset when I head to the airport without her.

That is wife V2.0. Version 1.0 loved to tell people we owned an airplane (1941 T-Craft) but hated to fly in it and resented the time I spent at the airport cleaning, flying, hanging out, etc.

Pick the right partner and all will be good.

Just don't forgo your studies to work on the plane!

If it were up to me, I would be building right now. My wife, on the other hand, put her foot down and said we need a house first. Now, that's not necessarily bad. She agrees that we need a 2-car garage with a single door in order to have enough room to build. She even said that I can have the entire garage for the plane, although I had to agree to scrape her windshield during the winter. I think that's a fair trade. For my birthday I got the preview plans as well as the tool-box practice kit and the other practice kit. On top of that, the wife thinks it would be a good idea to invest in a new tool each month (****, she was the one that said we should just get a Sears Card for tools) so that once we do get the house, I can order the Emp kit and start ASAP. All in all, a decent compromise.

On a side note, we were watching the Van's Video that comes with the info kit. We've already talked about building the -8, I've shown her pictures of the -8, and she thinks it's cool. Well, she sees the -10 in the video: "Well, why don't you want to build that one? It has four seats. We can put the kids in the back." No. It has higher operating costs, and the majority of the flying won't require four seats. "Oh true. Well, what about the -9?" The -9 can't do aerobatics. "Well I don't want to do aerobatics, that's crazy." Well, I won't do aerobatics with you inside the airplane. I'll fly it like an airliner. "So how come I can't sit next to you when we go flying?" Because sitting side-by-side is lame. I fly airplanes that are side-by-side. If we're going to be investing all this money and time into this airplane, I don't want to sit side-by-side. Besides, you'll have more room and will be more comfortable sitting front-n-back than you would side-by-side. I'm looking out for your comfort honey.

She gets too much enjoyment out of giving me a hard time about things I have my heart set on. She knows it'll get my feathers all ruffled up. S'all good, she's looking forward to the project (once we get that darned house.)

Last edited:
One important thing to remember:

THERE WILL NEVER, EVER BE AN IDEAL TIME TO BUILD.

Since there will never be a good time to do it, now is as good a time as any other!

There will always be some reason to sway you against doing it. It doesn't make a lot of sense to build an airplane. It's just something you have to do. If you feel like that, go for it. Get some cash (don't go into debt for it) and get your emp kit. Take your time with it and have fun. If you get done with the emp and don't have enough money for your wings, do the fiberglass tips.

Have fun. Enjoy life.

Oh to be in college again!

I have an RV-9A project in San Jose

Kevin:

I too learned to fly at Amelia's way back in the mid 70's. I'm building an RV-9A down in South San Jose near Santa Teresa Blvd. You're welcome to stop by anytime.

Kelly Johnson

As a new VAF member, its been a thrill reading the posts in response to Kevin's inquiry. Lots of practical wisdom; some varying viewpoints, especially regarding the time factor and education as well as money to build or fly. I just want to chime in and say how encouraged I am by this thread...you read so many articles about guys building awesome planes and money just seems to be no issue to them. I relate much better to the tone of this thread, and for what its worth, It has really helped me feel connected to you guys. Believe it or not, I'm a Family Physician, just turned 44, with a very successful practice. The catch is...I have been very successful at fathering as well! Two kids in college, two kids in diapers, and six in between (I'm not mormon or catholic, just crazy enough). I have a great wife (duh!) who likes to fly IF she gets there faster (doesn't happen in the Tripacer.) The RV7 is just the ticket, so she's on board. Plus, my 12 year old can shoot rivets like a pro; the more I involve my kids the happier she is. Sorry this is turning out more about marriage than money, but BOY are they linked! Anyway, I went for it the first of this year. Bought the emp kit used, and used tools. I get a quarterly bonus, so when the kit was done 2 months later, I had some serious waiting to do for a wing kit. I gotta close, but one more thought...I'm not an extravagant guy....clothes, cars, vacations...all older, cheap, used or short; but when it comes to aviation, I found out I have GOOD taste, and I want it now. My wife has been very patient (most of the time) as I've spent all our "extra" money. No more. Now I don't get even a tool with matching her dollar for dollar. This has been a lifesaver! And good luck, Kevin, wherever your road leads you.
Max, waiting on wing kit to ship 5/26!

When to build?

I am building but can't afford the entire plane yet. My plan is simple, build only what I can afford to buy without borrowing the money, (my signature explains my progress). I set up a budget I could afford and began putting money in a bank account JUST for the RV-9. So far I am staying with the budget and don't for see any change in the program. Keep in mind that life happens and sometimes it can get in the way - even for just a short period of time. Unfortunately, once you start to build it will be difficult to do much of any thing else - this airplane building stuff is addictive ! ! ! !

I have no real schedule that I'm keeping either. Work on the plane when I can and when it flies - well - it flies!

Good luck with your decision.

Robert