nbachert

Well Known Member
Patron
I have the fuel and vents lines done and installed. Brakes are completed and tubing is installed. The rudder pedals also except for the attachment of the rudder cables. FI pump and tubing installed along with manual trim cable. I want to start attaching electronics so is there anything else I need to have done and installed before I rivet the structure over that area? Thanks,

Nick

Without knowing what RV and what canopy, nobody can answer that question exactly.

In general, I think it is best to keep it cleco'ed until the absolute last minute possible in your RV design. This will allow you to work on wiring and firewall penetrations by yourself. For me and my wife, it was the last piece of skin to be riveted before the move to the hangar. Engine was installed and panel was in and complete.

Some craft (like sliders) have to make an earlier choice in order to continue construction of the canopy.

Last edited:
On my 7 A slider I riveted the panel structure all together, and then clekoed into the fuse, it is removable.

I riveted 2/3 of the ribs/subpanel together and cleco'ed on the 3rd piece, it was easily removable. I kept it that way until I finalized my panel and started running wires, then I riveted it. I wish I had finilized my EI and remote Transponder locations before I riveted but it's still possible to work around it.

Hold off as long as you can. It was one of the last things I riveted on before the move to the airport.

Some will also tell you to cut some access holes so you can get at the area behind the subpanel. This is also good advice. I didn't do it, but I figure I'll do it if I need to.

I'm building a 7 slider and like you Bret I was thinking of riveting it together and except for the two side pieces it will slide in and out. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything underneath that area.

Paint the undersurface (interior) of the top skin white.

It will help when you have to go in later to modify/fix stuff behind the panel...:)

I'm building a tipup -7, & used clecos & tiny metric flat head screws/nuts to hold the top skin in critical (interfering) locations so I could do my canopy work without riveting the top skin. I'm doing FWF work now, & don't expect to rivet the top skin until almost ready for flight. :)

Charlie