pmccoy

Well Known Member
Hi All-

I just finished the prep and priming on the ribs, gussets and skin that makes up the forward top section on the RV9A. I don't plan on riveting the skin on yet, as I don't have the panel wired. My question is, should I rivet the ribs and panel frame in place or just leave it on with clecos?

I have the rudder, brake pedals, fuel and vent lines installed. However, I don't have anything mounted to the front of the firewall yet.

On a side note, how much work can I do on the canopy without having the forward or rear top skins riveted on?

Thanks for any advice.

Peter-

Absolutely leave it unriveted until you mount the engine at the earliest. You will find many reasons later on to crawl down under it when you're attaching accessories to, and drilling holes in, the firewall. Mine just got riveted on a couple weeks ago and I still wish I had the completely open access I once did! What canopy are you building?

Hope this helps.

I had my ribs and sub-panel riveted before I did the wiring. You'll need places to attach Adel clamps, etc. If you're using the stock air vent brackets, install them while you have access. Leave the black vent hoses off for now as they'll get in the way when you rivet the fwd skin. Now is a good time to run the engine control cables and heater cables, too.
If I do it again, I might run another black plastic conduit along the left side of the firewall recess, especially if I go beyond Van's simple panel. Many things get finished simultaneously about now.

finishing -9A,
Steve

Peter-

Steve makes a good point. If you need the ribs and subpanel to support electrical stuff, then you'll probably want to go ahead and rivet everything.

My suggestion was, perhaps, relevant to my own configuration only. I've intentionally attached virtually all electrical stuff to my panel (and not the ribs or subpanel) so that I can pull it out and tilt it down for future work. Consequently, I have had the luxury of waiting a long time to rivet that forward structure.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm installing a 'Slider' on the canopy. As of yet, I don't have any avionics purchased. I do have the engine and firewall forward kit. Sounds like I should start working on that before I rivet this together.

I agree with most of the above. I have riveted my ribs together so I can install the requisite bits for the tipup canopy, but will wait until the last possible moment to rivet the skin on, mainly for access purposes.

greg

Front ribs

Thanks for the advice.

I'm installing a 'Slider' on the canopy. As of yet, I don't have any avionics purchased. I do have the engine and firewall forward kit. Sounds like I should start working on that before I rivet this together.
I waited until I had completed everything that I thought could be done in the front lower half. Got all my electrical stuff together and only then riveted the front ribs. Once you start the electrical stuff you won't be able to remove the top rib assembly anyway, and you'll need it completed to support your instrument panel. You will still wish you could remove it but, the things that you will forget to do can still be done. I completed my slider excluding the front fiberglass moulding, with the front skin clecoed on, another reason to rivet up those ribs. The front skin will be where it should be with relationship to the windshield. I think that everyone agrees to leave the top skin off for as long as possible to facilitate engine mounting/wiring/control cables.
Mike H 9A/8a