IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
I’m about 2 years from being done, but I own and have completed all the vans sub kits. Would it be prudent to request my bill of sale now so I could get the aircraft registered when it is complete? Is there a downside to asking for it now? How would I even do that?

Thanks!

I’d get it now - and depending on your state (and any plans on moving) it might be to your advantage to register your plane as soon as possible.

Again depending on your location, property tax may be a downside.

The road block I have on doing this is the FAA registration requires an engine serial number. I’m 2.5 years waiting on my engine from Thunderbolt.

Carl

Vans BOS

Submit the firm. It's on Vans website.
If nothing else, you're top of the pile when they start up again

Thanks Larry - great advice. I found and submitted the form. I imagine if I get anything I can just hold onto it here if needed.

Me Too

Since I have received all of the kits, with a few back ordered parts, I went ahead and asked Van's for the Bill of Sale for my -14A. You have to download and sign a liability waiver to send with the request. We will see what happens. BTW, I did not see anything on the FAA registration form asking for the engine serial number. I hope it is not needed, as I too am waiting on my Lycoming engine. I can wait for the registration, as I think the FAA will be around for a while.

No, I sent my request in a week ago and it's been a black hole. I've been getting close to taking it to the airport for the last 6 months. :rolleyes:

I Got Mine

In my Post #5, I stated I ordered my Bill of Sale from Van's sooner rather than later. I am pleased to report I just received my BoS document. It seems it was hung up in the USPS for almost a week. Anyway, it appears Van's is up and running in this area.

BTW, I did not see anything on the FAA registration form asking for the engine serial number. I hope it is not needed, as I too am waiting on my Lycoming engine.

You enter the engine manufacturer and designation in the airworthiness certificate application, 8130-6 (now done on-line, I believe).

Snip of the top part of the form....
FAA REG FORM PART.JPG

Not sure about the Thunderbolt side of Lycoming, but for my new IO360, it turned out that MONTHS before Lycoming shipped, they'd selected/assigned my engine serial number, and were happy to give it to me. I was then able to fill in the form and get my registration.

And also regarding "state taxes" (each one different I'd say)....I was certainly not the first to build a plane in MN. Precedent had been set ....and here it was/is: "taxes not due until Airworthiness Cert issued". You can certainly ask your state DOT aviation office.

And also regarding "state taxes" (each one different I'd say)....I was certainly not the first to build a plane in MN. Precedent had been set ....and here it was/is: "taxes not due until Airworthiness Cert issued". You can certainly ask your state DOT aviation office.

That's because until you have an AWC, it's not an airplane. :) There are about a bajillion threads on here about exactly this, and how oftentimes states or counties will *try* to tax the pile of parts (or put-together pile of parts :)), but until it has that magic AWC, it's just a pile of parts, NOT an airplane.

Search is your friend :)