638RS

Well Known Member
Could not find an anwer to this in the archives...

Lets say you have 18 months before your next physical and you are diagnosed with high BP, sleep apnea, or other treatable condition that can't be approved by an AME but requires an approval from Oklahoma city. You ground yourself until your doctor says all is under control and you are OK. Can you wait until your next physical to report the problem with appropriate paperwork or must you report it immediately?

It seems strange to me that you could potentially continue to fly for a year only to have Oklahoma City say they want more test or paperwork before granting your physical.

Medical

Check on "Super AME's". Some have the authority to approve these conditions without submitting to OK City and waiting for approval. The Airline Pilots use them all the time.

The answer is yes, you are supposed to report it immediately. Would I? Not on a bet. Fly safe and do the "Super AME" thing.

Lets say you have 18 months before your next physical and you are diagnosed with high BP, sleep apnea, or other treatable condition that can't be approved by an AME
I don't know like other things but I have high BP and my AME said that as long as I'm treating it (and I am) I'm fine. He was much more concerned about Zyrtec I'm taking once or twice a year for hay fever ...

I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for non-reporting (except DUI), and have earnestly inquired, including consult with a Dr. from Virtual Flight Surgeons.

The FAA keeps plenty busy from well intended pilots self disclosing.

"Remember, They are from the government and here to help"

N O T !

Lipitor-Status Report Required

AOPA provides a list of known drugs allowed by the FAA. This is based on information they have collected over the years and is in the members only area.

Lipitor is on the list, but requires a status report from your personal physician to the AME stating when it was prescribed, how much you're taking, and most importantly, whether or not you're experiencing any side effects. See
http://www.aopa.org/members/pic/medical/certification/introduction/status.html

I went through this process last year for another cholesterol med and it was painless...I provided the information to the AME and on the medical form, we discussed it, he issued my medical; end of story.

Mike

Ok, lets say a guy gets in an accident and tears cartlage(sorry spelling)in a knee or arm or whatever, and gets it repaired, what does he need to do?

Not much really

Ok, lets say a guy gets in an accident and tears cartlage(sorry spelling)in a knee or arm or whatever, and gets it repaired, what does he need to do?

On an injury, simply stated, you need to recover before you go flying. I had a situation where I fractured a vertebra. I was hospitalized for a few days and sent home. After several weeks and a few doctor visits, the doctor (non AME) pronounced me OK. Nothing was said to the FAA, but I didn't fly until the doc said I was good to go. On my next physical, I told the AME what had happened. He said "fine, disclose it in the 'have you seen a doctor or admitted to a hospital' section of the application." He asked a few questions, did the exam, and handed me a 1st class medical. Sticking with the same AME really helps. I have been going to the same one for 25 years. I can call him and ask him how to handle an issue knowing that I will get a correct, confidential answer.

A amusing story. My ex-wife, also an airline pilot, had a knee surgery. After some recovery she ran into the surgeon at the airport. He said, OK, it's time to see if you have recovered. Promptly puts her in his Extra 300 and they go do some aerobatics. Pronounced her good to go. Always wondered if he billed the insurance company for the "exam." :D

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

What the FAA is concerned about is drugs that can alter your ability to fly. Alcohol, illegal drugs are a definate problem.