bsacks05

Well Known Member
After 670+ hours my 6.0 diameter tail wheel is now 5.3 inches dia. Is there a reason to replace it now? Perhaps at 1000 hrs? By then it should be about 5 inches. I'm using vans budget ($35) wheel.

Bruce, I replaced mine at 6XX hours. I figured the smaller diameter of the worn wheel put my tailwheel steering post even closer to the ground and made it more susceptible to getting snagged on a taxiway lip. I'd prefer to spend $35 a couple of years early than to have some random object tear out the tailwheel mounting bracket...

It probably doesn't really matter but what I think about is the RPM more than the clearance. When the wheel is worn down to where it is really whizzing along, in my mind; that is when I replace it.

Also, when it gets too squared off it just doesn't look right.

We've got better tires with better bearings, retrofit forks with better clearance and handling, and lots of other RV goodies.

Thanks for everyone's input. I think I understand, replace the tail wheel before it becomes a tail skid. When I was building I would keep the tail wheel on my office desk as a little tangible incentive of what was to come when I finished the plane. Now I guess it will get returned to my desk as a reminder of the incredible first 700 hrs of RVing :)

We've got better tires with better bearings, retrofit forks with better clearance and handling, and lots of other RV goodies.

+1

Happy customer of the sealed bearing deluxe tailwheel here! Highly recommended.

Next I need to get the angled tailwheel fork, but after Oshkosh, and coming home to have to buy a bunch of expensive parts for my Audi Quattro, it'll be a couple months for my wallet to recover. :eek:

+1

Happy customer of the sealed bearing deluxe tailwheel here! Highly recommended.

Next I need to get the angled tailwheel fork, but after Oshkosh, and coming home to have to buy a bunch of expensive parts for my Audi Quattro, it'll be a couple months for my wallet to recover. :eek:

My 2 cents of advice, is to keep your standard vans tailwheel as a spare...
Buy the delux wheel from Vans and spend an additional $20 on a pair of quality sealed bearings; (the chiniese bearings that come with it dont last) The wheel looks cool and you dont get all that anoying greasy dirt with the delux wheel.

cat-small_LW-t-wheel.gif

The only trouble with this wheel is the time i spend polishing it :cool:

Mark,

Unless, I'm missing something here, you appear to be showing Dayton Murdock's lightweight wheel in your photo. It comes with good, sealed bearings already installed.

The "deluxe" tire is sold by us. It has a nylon type hub and sealed bearings. Van's doesn't carry this tire.

Either of these tires should be a huge improvement over Van's tire with it's grease slinging bearings and rather poor tread life.

Last edited:
Tailwheel Assembly Replacement

After only about 300 hours on my Van's stock wheel, I noticed it was squaring off. I was surprised, as I fly in and out of a grass field with the occasional landing at a paved airport for fuel and of course, the long x-country flights. :confused:

In my research, mostly on this fantastic site with its plethora of information, I chose to replace my fork and wheel with one that is offered by Aviation Products out of CA. Karen was great in getting my order out to me as soon as possible. I sanded the polished finish and painted it black before installation (my RV6 is all black with tru-flame work on all leading edges). I cannot find enough GOOD words to describe this installation. :D

The spring linkages on both sides are taut and no longer sagging, allowing the steering response to be "spot-on" with no slop. The fear of having an "arrested" landing in the grass or getting hung-up when transitioning to the paved taxi-way at our strip, is gone. :cool:

Cheers!