RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I have decided to do most of the pin hole filling with the skirt off the canopy. I am at the point where I am happy with the finish at least the finish without the primer. I will prime the inside of the skirt, I then need to attach the skirt, I still have to countersink the holes for the rivets.

I want to fill over the rivets to give the skirt a smooth look, they will get a countersink so they sit lower than the skirt. So the question is do I wait to prime the outside of the skirt until after it is installed and the fill work is done, or would it be good to do a coat of epoxy primer now with the high fill primer block sanded once before doing the final attachment to the canopy, essentially fill the rivet holes then prime and sand again.

I plan to fly without paint first and hire a professional to do the painting. Not sure how far to go for a year or two of flying unpainted. I definitely want to prime over the pink!

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Skirt priming

Mike,
I just finished that very part on my plane. I chose to prime it after installation. The rivet holes were filled with super-fil, then i faired the glass with Evercoat Metal-glaze(available at most auto paint suppliers). When you put a light coat of rattle can primer, any defects will be immediately noticeable and can be re-faired withe metal-glaze. Tim

Can primer

Mike,
I just finished that very part on my plane. I chose to prime it after installation. The rivet holes were filled with super-fil, then i faired the glass with Evercoat Metal-glaze(available at most auto paint suppliers). When you put a light coat of rattle can primer, any defects will be immediately noticeable and can be re-faired withe metal-glaze. Tim

What kind of rattle can primer are you using, I have the 2 part stuff but not sure what to use for this step. The local paint guy sells some stuff for "guide coat" Do you use the etching primer used on the aluminum or something from Home Depot.

Cheers

Painted mine while it was installed, after the windshield fairing was complete. Painted skirts and windshield fairing all at once because the windshield and canopy was already taped up at that point.