Subwaybob

Well Known Member
I ordered the empennage, yahooooo!! But now I am thinking since I am buying a QB 7 kit I should go ahead and order the wings and fuselage. (Good thinking Bob. It takes 1-3 months and your going to be sitting on your thumbs if you get the tail feathers done quickly.) I could be an idiot really, who knows... So the question remains:

1. Should I order the finish kit with the QB fuse and wings? Why or why not?
(There is no #2 I just like things in order just in case :D)

Is there some reason I would want the legs, canopy, engine mount, etc so soon sitting around, getting cracked (canopy), getting in the way, or whatever may happen?
Or am I going to want them for something I have not foreseen since I am a brand new NOT YET builder?

Before you answer just a couple of things to consider:
1. Please leave out cost as an issue.
2. I will have around 4 hours a day to work on the 7.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

The risk is you end of changing your mind about the build. I do not know the statistics, but most people use the empennage kit to determine if building is for them, or not.
The only other issue in buying all of the kits is there are some choices, like engine type, that you may change your mind on later. Not a big deal as you can always sell the parts and get what you need, but you would likely take a bit of a loss.

If I had to do it over again -- maybe someday -- I'd order the finish kit when you're about 1/2 way through the fuselage kit (I waited until I was done). This is right around the point where you can do this or you could do that, as opposed to most of the build up to the point where you're doing this THEN doing that...rinse...wash...repeat.

With my RV-3Bkits on order, I am waiting to order the finish kit until I start the fuselage. All the pieces of it attach to the fuselage.

Before ordering the finish kit, I'll have to decide upon the engine. So I need to do that by the time I start the fuselage.

I went ahead and ordered the tail, wing and fuselage kits, all slow-build so that they'd all be handy as I get to them. I could even start the fuselage before making the engine decision and the finish kit order but I don't think I'd want to go very far in it.

Dave

Q-Build Fuse

If I had to do it over again -- maybe someday -- I'd order the finish kit when you're about 1/2 way through the fuselage kit (I waited until I was done). This is right around the point where you can do this or you could do that, as opposed to most of the build up to the point where you're doing this THEN doing that...rinse...wash...repeat.

With my RV-3Bkits on order, I am waiting to order the finish kit until I start the fuselage. All the pieces of it attach to the fuselage.
Dave

Bob and Dave, I am ordering the QB fuse/wings. So how far is half way through the Quick Build? This is my dilemma. I guess I will wait until my hands actually touch the fuse and start working on it. Hopefully it will take me more than a few months on the QB fuselage. :confused:

So the question remains:

1. Should I order the finish kit with the QB fuse and wings? Why or why not?

Bob,
It seems to me that you already devised a plan for you build. Fast plan. 4 hours a day it's a lot. Order the finish kit with wings and fuse some parts of it you will need faster then you think.

Hey you can always bring your project to RV Central and get it in the air in no time. It's two blocks from you. :D

You need to know the exact engine and prop before ordering the Finish Kit. Also some other options you might take... If there is any doubt, wait on it ;)

Bob and Dave, I am ordering the QB fuse/wings. So how far is half way through the Quick Build? This is my dilemma. I guess I will wait until my hands actually touch the fuse and start working on it. Hopefully it will take me more than a few months on the QB fuselage. :confused:

There's a point in the fuselage construction -- the subpanel, I believe (and I don't know if the subpanel is already built in the QB or not) -- where some of the parts callouts are in the finishing kit. Not many; but a couple.

There's also the question of when you want to start on the panel itself b/c at that point, there's something to be said for actually running cables and wires out to the firewall forward.

In the big scheme of things, it's probably not that big a deal which you do. Even if you THINK you're done with the fuselage kit and you have to wait for the finishing kit, there's really quite a lot of work you can still be doing on the fuse etc.

But, to me, at this stage of the build, I kind of got sick of doing one component -- fiberglass, for example -- and having another entirely separate component to work on -- electrical, for example -- was a good relief. Didn't make a bit of difference in terms of when the project got done, just good for sanity.

Finish kit now !

I ordered my finish kit at same time as wings and fuselage for my -4,an found plenty to do with the various bits and pieces while working on the structure. the engine choice can make a difference in cowlings/engine mount, but its really nice to have all the gear parts,ect so they can be worked. It helps also when making cutouts and provisions for various fairings to see what mates to what, rather than looking at pictures and drawings. The engine mount and other steel parts will need painted(or at least mine did) and all that can be done when you dont feel like diving into the metal work...I just prefer having all the stuff at my disposal during the build. Canopy can be stored in the crate until your ready to work on it if you have the room.

Decisions

If all the decisions are made, engine, prop, canopy, etc.
I say order it now, inventory it and put it back in the crate to protect everything. The crate makes a terrific "extra" workbench for some things.;)