Dbro172

Well Known Member
I've come to the section in the manual instructing me to temporarily fit the Wings. Due to my limited space this would be awkward and i could only do one at a time. I assume many other tasks can be completed before this is necessary. I would like to move forward with the cabin systems, tail mounting, finish kit, maybe event the panel and the engine first.....

Is there a drop dead point at which the wings need to fitted? What are some notable issues if I decide to put this off til later

Thanks,

Mounted mine not too long before the first flight. Another buddy with a -9A did the same.

Derek,

I waited until much longer in the build. There is really no hurry if you don't have the room. When you get them on, there is a bunch of stuff to do, so you will want them on for more than a few days. Rear spar bolt hole drilled, wing gap seals, flap rod cutout, fuel tank attach brackets, fuel lines, wiring penetrations and then getting the control rods all set to the right lengths.

As Bruce said, it is worth mounting the wings only twice. Once to fit all the stuff, and then a final mounting. Think about all the things that need done before you do the first mounting (like the root fairings, that come with the finish kit).

Greg

Wait

I waited to do mine till I was at the airport about 30 days before first flight. Put them on, drill incidence, fit everything. You'll have to take them back off to deburr and some other things, then put them on with permanent bolts for the last time. I worried about it a lot, but it was a moot point. These kits are so good that there's very little that could go wrong.

As Bruce said, it is worth mounting the wings only twice. Once to fit all the stuff, and then a final mounting. Think about all the things that need done before you do the first mounting (like the root fairings, that come with the finish kit).

I agree. I mounted the wings one at a time (with temp h'dwe store bolts) in my limited garage space to set incidence, fit the tanks brackets, mark the bottom fuse skin, etc. It required only precise layout lines on the floor to assure the wings were positioned correctly before drilling. Then the wings went back in the wing cart until final assembly at the airport ... four yrs later!