algrajek

Well Known Member
I cant decide whether to get the canopy done while the plane is still on the stands, or put the gear on, THEN the canopy. It seems like it may be easier to do the canopy while it is still lower and easier to work on.
Any thoughts either way?
Thanks a lot

Did you save your wing kit crate? If so, nail a couple of cross member 2x4's and slide it under the fuselage whenever you need a short scaffold...it is the perfect height when she is on her gear. Also, once you start working fwf, move your wellfare scaffold to the front, slide it under the nose, and you now have easy access to the top of the engine compartment.

I put mine on the gear just before I was ready to hang the engine. Left the canopy as the very last thing before painting (I just completed the canopy last week) so as to minimize the possibility of scratching or damaging it with all the other work that would have been left to do.

Do it now.
You install the gear while the 'boat' is upside down, then you turn it over and finish tightening up all those little nuts that are too close to the edges of the angles and weldements. PITA! After it is on the gear you can roll it around the shop, or out into the yard so you can clean the shop. It's not too high to work on the canopy. A short ladder, step stool or part of a Van's crate will get you inside or high enough for everything else.
The windshield and canopy go on after. Remember, the fuse gets heavier as you add stuff to it, and turning it over would geat harder, as well as risk damage to the windshield.