N8RV

Well Known Member
I've been breaking in my new engine (IO-360 M1) and have run the engine for 13 hours so far with the mixture full rich to keep the temps cool during break-in.

At what point during the first 50 hours or so of break-in can I begin to lean the mixture so that I'm not burning 12-13 gph all the time?

Good question

Are still running mineral oil? If so, I would continue to run 150 degrees Rich of peak and vary the RPMS at different cruise settings as recommended per Lycoming...at least until you have reached 50 hours or change the break-in oil. The extra heat generated from mineral oil is where your concern here... Once you remove the mineral oil, I would lean as you normally would. I ran mine this way and achieved 80 over 80 on all 4 after 125 hours of operation....

Mineral oil and temps...

Great timing on your question! I'm breaking in an OH engine also and still running full rich. I'm still with the mineral oil and see my OT hover a bit over 190. Will the change of oil also help lower the temp a little? Forgive my ignorance on this topic...I'm new to breaking in engines.

Response

No worries.. Yes, changing from mineral oil to conventional will lower the temps. You probably already know this.. The mineral oil helps seat the rings by generating more friction and heat...very essential to properly breaking the engine-in... Be careful though, if you made the mistake of changing over to convential oil before seating the rings? You run the risk of glazing the cylinders and would end up with an engine that loves to use oil.....;)It pays to follow Lycomings recommendations for low oil consumption and longevity so, don't rush the break-in.

cooling

I've been breaking in my new engine (IO-360 M1) and have run the engine for 13 hours so far with the mixture full rich to keep the temps cool during break-in.

At what point during the first 50 hours or so of break-in can I begin to lean the mixture so that I'm not burning 12-13 gph all the time?

Hey Don:

The verbiage below assumes your baffling is correct and functional.

Keep in mind: you can cool with fuel, or you can cool with air. Personally, I use the cheaper stuff. Go ahead and pull the red knob back, keep your CHTs under 400F, and you and your engine will be happy. If the CHTs start to creep over 400F, pull that red knob back a bit further.

Eventually (sooner would be best) get those injector orfices set up (Don @ Airflow will be your new best friend) and have at it (LOP operation).

If you have a hot cyl, check the baffling on that cyl.

Engine break-in involves only one part: piston rings. Other parts may 'wear in', but you are only concerned with "breaking in" the rings. Cyl honing pattern determines how fast the cyl will break in -- since yours are new/steel, they're probably right (for a quick break-in). If done correctly, break-in happens in about 20 minutes. It's a hot 20 minutes for sure, but that's all it takes if done correctly, and the engine is built correctly.

BTW using Phillips X-CY during break-in, and for the life of the engine for that matter, is fine. So, change to the better stuff whenever you like.

So, how do you make sure the rings are broken in properly? Cylinder pressure. Lots of it. How do you get the right cylinder pressure? Well, you can run full RPM and MP (kinda spendy), or you can run 'er a bit over square at ~2300-2400RPM (26-27" or so) and get the same results. Lean as you like, but watch the CHTs: keep 'em under 400F unless you have an engine sponsor.

All you guys out there saying you can't lean except under 75% -- you should look at the power settings on a supercharged or turbo'ed engine and where they are leaned at. It would scare ya, till you figured it out. All the leaning info you need is here on the forum -- you just have to squelch out the static and there it is.

You guys with carbs (not FI): you can do the same, just keep a closer eye on those CHTs -- your fuel distribution is not as even as the FI systems provide. A bit of carb heat, and tip the throttle plate a bit (pull back from FT just a bit: stop before the MP starts to drop) and you'll see better results.

Question: if your flight school plane drops a cyl, and it is changed out, do you think the flight school changes to mineral oil for the 'break-in' on that cyl? Of course not. Do you hear this (oil change to mineral) recommended anywhere for a single cyl break-in? Of course not. Why is that? Another OWT bites the dust!

Caveat: if the flight school is running semi-synthetic, then yes the oil should be changed out; it's too slippery. But what flight school has the $$$ for that type of oil?:rolleyes:

Carry on!
Mark

Thanks for the interesting (and I'm sure controvertial) replies. The question is probably related to "What PRIMER should I use?" :D

My CHTs are well under 400 and my OT has been hovering right at 180. I'd considered closing some of my oil cooler baffling (I installed one of Van's shutter gizmos) to get the OT up closer to 190.

Thanks again for the advice, guys. Oh, and yes, I'm still running straight mineral oil.

The other fantastic time to lean is while on the ground. Lean the snot out of her to reduce plug fouling. Make sure to lean aggressively enough that you are unable to throttle up without roughness so that you won't forget to enrichen before takeoff...

Since we're at 4200-4600' msl to start with; let alone summer density altitudes............ we'll lean right after engine start. At this altitude, I leaned throughout the breakin period too. Slightly rough running during taxi, less power for takeoff, and fouled plugs ----- which need to be cleared on the magneto check ---are the result if we don't.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I ran full rich during break-in. The oil consumption on my ECI Titan stabilized after 2-3 hours.
I use Phillips XC 20w-50 per ECI instructions. One oil, all year long. Break-in to TBO. Love that KISS principle.
My field is 4470 msl. I lean after engine start and during taxi. Full rich during takeoff and climb. I lean to 50 deg ROP for cruise.

PS
Don't stand between the Shell and Phillips tents at OSH. You might end up as collateral damage as a result of the rock throwing.

I lean to START my engine.

6800' MSL field elevation. Why would I start at anywhere close to full rich mixture? I know about where it should be for optimal mixture so I start the engine there then lean more to taxi.