speed

If I could only make a long weekend, when should I go ? opening weekend, final weekend or during the week ? What is the "I cant miss that" at Oshkosh? :eek:

I have never been, but I hear its an event I dont want to miss. Where can I get a schedule of events ? It may be around here somewhere I just couldnt find it. fount it http://www.airventure.org/

Thanks in advance :)

I would go every day if I could

It runs from Monday through Sunday so there is really only one weekend officially. How long to stay depends upon how much of a die-hard you really are. I was there for my first time for all 7 days plus 2 for travel days. And yes, I was there by myself so no one was there to slow me down. The museum itself could take a day or two by itself depending on how close you want to look. Of course I could have spent my entire week just in the forum tents and workshops. Plan on spending an hour or more just watching the arrival runway traffic. Make sure you stand next to someone with a radio so you can hear the endless radio chatter. Of course, if you are building an RV you had better go through the vendor booths and look at the big boys' toys. And go look at Van's booth of course. Check out some of the other airplane vendors too for comparison. I took the helicopter ride on the last day and it was so cool with the shadows of the departed RV's on the grass where the grass had been trampled except for the part under the plane. But I wish I had taken it when all the planes were still there. I kind of wish I had taken the Tri-motor ride too. The bus ride to the seaplane base to watch the water flying traffic makes a nice break for half a day. Of course you have to spend some time looking at aircraft and talking to their owners too. There is also the NASA/FAA hangars and the outdoor vendors. And you gotta go through the Pioneer Airport which is a throwback to the 1940's era airports including hangars with Steve Whittman's collection and one with Bernie Pietenpol's airplane plus others that don't fit in the museum. There is even a boat/airplane hanging in there with a N number and boat registration on it. Along the way to Pioneer Airport check out the nice park like areas that include the Memorial Wall, chapel and Compass Hill. Those are really nice. The airshow seems to sort of repeat with minor variations each day. If I go again I will probably just ignore most of the airshow. Except I love to watch Sean Tucker fly. However, I think the warbird show with its big "wall of fire" is on Friday or Saturday (you better check.) I am not into warbirds as much but you have got to feel that heat off the pyrotechnics they use to simulate a bombing run at least once in your life. It will give you a new respect for what it felt like to be attacked from the air, that's for sure. A fair number of my friends (who have been there before) launch by Friday or Saturday so they can get back to work by Monday. Watching the big line of departures is fun in and of itself. I would go again for all the days if, I should say when, I go back. On the last day any shirts/hats with the year of the show on them are on sale (if there are any left that is.) If you are a true aviation nut like me then you can easily fill up all 7 days there. It really is four airports in one (counting the ultralight runway) plus a museum plus a park area. If you have kids there is the Kidventure activities there at the museum too. But if you stay in the UWO dorms, bring a fan with you (they get HOT and have no A/C) and the bus takes you right to the front gate. However I did not go to any of the evening lectures as I was ready for a shower and the bus runs late but not very late. Also if you stay all the days it can get expensive buying food at airshow prices. This might be different if you don't stay in the dorms at UW Oshkosh. Good luck and enjoy!

I guess that all depends on just what you want to accomplish at OSH.

I have found that the earlier you go, the thinner the crowds are in the exhibitor hangars. Very helpful if you are in the midst of shopping for avionics, tools, etc.

If you want to see a bunch of RV's, don't wait until the end of the event (Saturday and Sunday) as many RV's will have bugged out by that time, especially if the weather continues as it has been for the last week. I live just north of OSH (yes, I *do* know how lucky I am!) and we have had some major league storms come through here this week. Two water spouts (AKA tornados over lake Winnebago) in the last three days!

If you want to see the best warbird airshows, Friday And Saturday are the days to be there.

So name your poison and go for it. In any case, even if you stay the whole week, you still won't see everything. Just a good excuse to come again next year!

Hope this helps

Regards,

Oshkosh

I agree with the guys that earlier is better on the crowds and that by the weekend the RV guys start bugging out to get home.

According to EAA they are going to have the big group of WW2 bombers there again. THAT is something to get as close to the line as possible before the warbirds show on the weekends.

My kids still remember the last time about ten years ago they had that many and having them taxi by with all the noise and vibration is something to see AND hear.

This will be the biggest warbird group since then.

Dave from Motoart (Wing Nuts on Discovery Channel) tells me he and the guys will be at Oshkosh this year, they were at Sun N Fun. They are a blast and while not I can't afford what they make from plane parts the stuff is beautiful.

Jimmy Buffett's was negotiating to bring a restaurant there like they had at Sun N Fun. No word on that one yet.

Best thing is make a plan, start at one place and work your way to the other. If times short don't wander too much or you won't see as much.

I started out day tripping it with my kids about 15 yrs ago (2 hr drive) now we are up to 4 days and I still think I miss things.

If all you have is two days I'd go for Friday - Saturday, best chance for RV's and then the warbirds show.

Just my 2. Have fun.

crowds or not

Oshkosh starts slow and builds towards a peak on the weekend. If you are going for the first time there is no way to see all of it. The nice thing about early in the week is much less crowds. If you want to wait in line go on the weekend. The down side of early week is there may be a few less planes. As far as RV's there will be plenty to see all week or weekend. Also they will be parked all over the site, not just in the RV section. The best part of the weekend is the energy (crowds) and you have the best chance of seeing the most planes. When you go into the large A ,B,C and D halls to see the aviation products (which is nice if you are building to see and touch the products) are going to be A's and elbows. Also the time a vendor can take to talk to you is almost zero on the weekend and they are tired.

As far as air show I was not aware the war birds only flew on the weekend. I was under the impression the air show was everyday and about the same. There are special days, usually on the weekend when they have guest appearance by military planes or special aircraft, but some times the special planes come early in the week. Check EAA web site to get the schedule.

Bring water, comfortable shoes, hat and sunscreen. Food is OK but expensive. A sheet or blanket to lay-down on would be nice, especially for watching the show. Don't forget the museum and forums in the tents. At night they have speakers in the theater in the woods. If you can camp out, that is the ultimate, but it can be hot or the weather can wash you out, but that puts the adventure in AirVenture.

Cheers George

You guys make it sound good

I'm sure I will never do this again but on the 23rd we have to fly to Dayton for the race briefing. Sunday we take off and fly a three leg course to the finish line at a private strip south of Oshkosh. Then there is to be a group fly to Oshkosh. Then we will hang fill out the registration and judging forms and hang the prop tag and stand guard all week and leave Monday (a week later) to fly home. Did a similar routine at Sun 'n Fun got one atta boy from a judge which was nice. Will ship the photo build record, build logs and clothes to Oshkosh to race as light as I can but my co-builder - bless her heart - is going to ride the race route even if we are 1.2 MPH slower. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Anyway, as much as I love flying I was dreading that much time in that setting but you guys make it sound pretty good. If there is water around and EAA Risk Management will let me take a bucket, sponge and Chamois to the flight line so I can wash my plane every day and watch all that flying - this could be a very enjoyable time. Even though I was a young boy in WWII I don't believe I have ever seen a B-29 in flight - I have seen a B-36 takeoff from Lindbergh Field in San Diego - A sight that I will NEVER forget! If I could see that F-4 make a hot pass again like it did at Sun 'n Fun that would be outstanding. Aerobatic performances are just so many angry bumble bees to me but unique airplanes, especially FAST unique airplanes are what get my motor running - everyone has their own thing and it changes as time goes by. I have seen warbirds flying there all week before so I don't think you are going to miss anything significant no matter when you go there. Just figure out when you can fit it into your schedule best, go and enjoy what you see and don't worry about what you might miss. The long weekend would be July 29, 30 and 31. Watch out for the cranky old guy with the bucket and sponge with the blue RV-6A - if you touch his plane you may end up short a finger.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Whenever you go, try to attend the Builder's dinner Thursday evening. I have a "surprise."
Mel...DAR

Going to Oshkosh

The first friday (July 29th) is the day I'm there because the venders are fresh and you can get good answers to questions. Oshkosh starts earlier (mon or tues) but the venders aren't there. So good days are fri, sat, sun.
Parking is 5.00 . Admision varies if your an EAA member or not. The EAA website has all the info on the event. Air Venture Oshkosh ! Before going to Oshkosh print out a map of the event ( not available now ) so you know where to go.
I have flown there and driven there many times but never camped there. So if you go put on you walking shoes and have fun.
Lee

The more you fly the better you become!

A travel club here in Indy runs a day trip to OSH - my parents bought me a ticket this year, so my dad and I are going 7/27 - will there really be no vendors there? While I guess it will be easier on the wallet, I was hoping to pick up some things and get a good look at some of the electronic whiz-bangs and so forth.
This will be my first trip ever, so one day will not be close to enough!
Thomas

The venders are there from start to finish. If you get there before the official opening (July 25th), then the venders will not be set up yet.

One thing to consider is that if you wait to purchase whatever you lust for until the very end of the event, sometimes you can cut some better deals.

Regards,

Not to worry!

The commercial exhibits will open on Monday, and you can count on 90%+ being there and set up ready to go at 9:00 AM. They (EAA) really don't like exhibitors showing up in the middle of the show, very disruptive, and the guys with the big booths and lots of stuff to sell/show take multiple days to set their stuff up, which they do over they preceeding weekend.

If you're looking for someone who is out on the flight line that may be another story......

You know, the one thing nobody has mentioned in terms of when to go is the Forums. They're pretty much invaluable, imho. You might find that the forum you really need to get to is on a particvular day. I think the OSH Web site has the schedule.

speed said:
If I could only make a long weekend, when should I go ? opening weekend, final weekend or during the week ? What is the "I cant miss that" at Oshkosh? :eek:

I have never been, but I hear its an event I dont want to miss. Where can I get a schedule of events ? It may be around here somewhere I just couldnt find it. fount it http://www.airventure.org/

Thanks in advance :)

I've made the pilgrimage to Oshkosh 19 times since 1984 and here are a few personal observations. Wear the most comfortable shoes you've ever worn in your life. This is no place to try out a new pair. Once inside the grounds, don't worry about finding a program, volunteers will be hawking them aplenty! In years past, I've done the rite of passage thing, flown in and camped under the wing. Always an adventure. You can never tell what the weather has in store. Could be hot and steamy, or cold, windy, and damp...or anything in between. One year, upon leaving the show in my Cessna 150, I found myself in a traffic jam of departing aircraft and making the looong taxi from my parking spot near the departure end of Niner, cross country to runway 36... and found myself directly behind a departing T-28 Trojan for one full hour. One word...turbulent. I was tired before I ever left the ground! Anymore, I simply fly or drive into Green Bay (easier), stay at some cookie cutter motel and commute daily. The weather for the most part usually cooperates at least part of the big closing weekend. The last Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are when activities peak. The vendors are in a sales frenzy. At peak times expect at to be 2,3 even 4 deep when visiting popular vendors such as Spruce or Garmin sellers located in Exhibition Buildings A,B,C, and D. If it rains, you'll be barely able to move anywhere there is a roof available. You'll be poked and prodded by all manner of carry along seats, cameras, bags, backpacks and folding chairs. Crap abounds in the Flymart area but can be a treasure trove of exploration for the truly savvy buyer. Many Flymart vendors are ready to deal by late Sunday and a little negotiating can yield an exceptional bargain or two. l usually earmark at least a half day for the museum visit. Beautiful building and grounds. Once inside, you've got to see the USS Enterprise (WW11) model which is 10 feet long (more or less) highly and meticulously detailed. Sit in the mockup Johnson Wax Carnuba seaplane as a passenger for an interesting flying video depicting aerial exploration of times long past. I am particularly fond of Pioneer airport in general and always make it a point to pay my respects to Bernard Petienpol's diminutive and personally fashioned hangar featuring handmade laminated beam arches and relocated to the grounds by volunteers some time ago. lf ever there was a definition of "homebuilder" this man was easily among the movements' greatest players. Like it or not, AirVenture has become many things to many people. Whether you are into kit built designs, one of a kind oddities, all manner of ubiquitious spam can, corporate jets, warbirds, classics, antiques, helicopters, ultralights, even cars, motorcycles and John Deere tractors, AirVenture will easily accomodate your tastes. There can be no denying this fact though. Of all the aircraft parking areas you may visit, you will find no single larger representation of homebuilt kit aircraft flying into Oshkosh than that of Van's RV's. The area is located behind Van's display area, and adjacent to part of the warbird parking area. Sometimes, I almost feel sorry for the relatively lonely Sonex guys usually located across from Van's static displays. Enjoy the show. Nothing like it on Earth.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

Last edited:
Too Much Too See and Do

Never having been there, it is difficult to comprehend the size of this thing. Take comfortable shoes is one thing but I image this statement is a major understatement in articulating the size of this event. It is exciting and somewhat intimidating at the same time. Kind of like the first time we went to Disney World. Where to start? Fear of missing something that must be seen? Go! Go! Go! A totally overwhelming experience. Just looking through the forum schedule I think I could spend the entire week just going to them. In the end, just like Disney World, I think one needs to succumb to the reality that not everything can be seen in one trip. One needs to pick the top items of interest and try to make it an enjoyable and somewhat relaxing trip as all vacations are meant to be. Afterall, we don't want to turn it into a National Lampoon's Oshkosh Vacation :) I know I felt like a Clark Oswald on my Disney World trip.

The museum is a must see on my list. I recently visited the Lone Star Flight Museum in Galveston, Texas and it was awesome. I assume the one at Oshkosh will be many times larger.

I can't wait and thanks for the information. Hopefully there are good maps available and the weather will cooperate. Or maybe with your experience you could start a business as an official Oskosh tour guide.

Tom, I can guarantee that you will want to come back. Enjoy your visit and realize, as you already do, that you won't get to see everything.

And by the way.....If you need a cool refreshing beverage, come and visit me in the campground. I'll be in the Starcraft pop-up. You can't miss it! ;)

Regards,

A sacreligious perspective....

OK, this is meant in good humor, but here is a totally off-the-wall perspective...

I grew up in Minnesota, and was flying at the age of 13. Never made it to Oshkosh - never took the time. I have spent the last 25 years living in Houston - flying all the time, and never had time to make it to Oshkosh.

Last year, I started my RV-8 in March, and by the time Oshkosh rolled around, my buddies here at work insisted that I join them, at least for a couple days - they have an annual encampment, and said I could crash there. Since I had a long shopping list, I thought it was a great idea.

And I was NOT disappointed - what an Incredible place to go, to see, and to shop! I spent about $2K on things that have all gone into the plane - perfect timing for me. Got to look at lots of RV's, take lots of pictures, and talk with engine vendors. :)

Now here is the heresy....I doubt that I'll go back this year! Becasue...I'm busy building an airplane! One of my buddies here has been building his Mustang II for many, many years. And he goes to Oshkosh for a week every year. I suggested to him that if instead of going to Oshkosh, he took that that vacation time to stay home and work 16 hours a day pounding rivets, he might actually be able to FLY to Oshkosh! :D

It's all a matter of where one's priorities lie...and if I work real hard for the rest of this year, I might be able to fly the RV to the show next year - at least, that is what I hope... :rolleyes:

Then again, maybe I'll see you all at Oshkosh this year...my friends keep insisting that I need to get out of the shop and go crash with them again...

Paul Dye

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get from Green Bay to Oshkosh? My flight arrives in GB at 5pm on Sunday. The car rental prices are through the roof! - if you can find one... and i just cant see paying over $600 just to park the thing in camp all week.

Ironflight said:
Now here is the heresy.
Paul Dye
The dirty little secret of OSH, frankly, is once you've seen it,you've pretty much seen it. The airshows are the same year to year and the industry isn't changing THAT fast that there's a lot of new displays to look at. Tool shopping is a chief activity, but if you're not in the market, well. Usually there's a hot product that attrcts everyone's attention.

The forums are usually pretty good and differ from year to year but the person who packs 'em in at the forums is Rod Machado and after about 15 minutees folks are shouting out for him to tell a joke they've heard before...and then another one...and another one....and he's a funny guy but after you hear the same material for 5 or 6 straight years, well....

In the end, the best part about OSH is the person you camp next to who's building a Watchmacallit and flew bombers in World War II and learned to fly by sneaking out with Dad's keys to the J-3 Cub etc.

Oh, and if it's really hot...sitting under the trees at the seaplane base. That's cool too.

Its pretty big

Tom Maxwell said:
Never having been there, it is difficult to comprehend the size of this thing.

It's difficult to comprehend even after having been twice. The time I drove in, I got a great camping spot right across from the showers and store in Camp Scholler. It was still a MILE to the entrance! I guess you have to get there in June to park next to the show. And, by the way, thank heavens for the big sponsers like John Deere (who provides the trolleys). If you had to walk everywhere, you'd never make it through the first day.

What amazes me is how few non-aviation people have even heard of it. I've lived in two cities while they hosted the Super Bowl, and if you ask me, in terms of sheer hugeness, this thing makes the Super Bowl look like a high school playoff game. But it doesn't even make the news. Weird.