Jeff R

Well Known Member
I am nearly finished with the riveting prior to rolling the canoe, but woud like to keep the firewall off for as long as I can. Can I go on and rivet the side skins to the forward section and even the bottom front skin and stiffeners and avoid attaching the firewall until after the canoe has been rolled?

Jeff,

Considering how easy it is to drill out a rivet, I chose to rivet every 5th hole just as a "keeper" until I need to install the cowl attach stock.

The keeper rivets are just serving as mini clecos.

My two...

:) CJ

Great idea on riveting every 5th rivet! In the close quarters of my side of the garage, I keep snagging my shirt on those darn clecos. That has to be elongating the holes.

The final riveting happens when installing the cowling

Last edited:
Firewall

I am nearly finished with the riveting prior to rolling the canoe, but woud like to keep the firewall off for as long as I can. Can I go on and rivet the side skins to the forward section and even the bottom front skin and stiffeners and avoid attaching the firewall until after the canoe has been rolled?
Jeff,
I think that if you don't follow the building sequence with regards to the firewall installation, you may be opening yourself up to some alignment problems later down the road. The firewall can be clecoed to the side and bottom skins as pointed out by others, but there are other internal structures that are supposed to be riveted to the firewall, ie floor stiffeners, corner gussets, side stiffeners, etc. Also you will be installing the side doublers and tank brace mounts, top ribs, brake/rudder pedal assembly, center brace, etc. Actually you will be riveting more to that firewall than you think. I found it much easier to rivet those floor braces with the canoe upside down vs waiting until you roll it. I just don't see what you would gain by not following the building sequence. Maybe I missed something?
Mike H 9A/8A