bret

Well Known Member
I have an N number reserved with the FAA, been renewing it for a few years now, when is it advisable to have the data plate engraved and number installed on plane? Has anyone ever did all this and not get to keep their reserved number? Also can someone post the correct wording on the plate, Thanks.

Once I got my plane registered, then I had my data plate engraved.
When my appointment with the DAR was made & I had met his prior requests, then I attached it to the fuse.
I did not put my N-number on until I had my air worthiness cert in hand.
As far as data plate wording, all that is required is builder, model & serial number.

Once I got my plane registered, then I had my data plate engraved.
When my appointment with the DAR was made & I had met his prior requests, then I attached it to the fuse.
I did not put my N-number on until I had my air worthiness cert in hand.
As far as data plate wording, all that is required is builder, model & serial number.

I think you probably mean "registration in hand" because it is not possible to get an airworthiness certificate with the N number not yet attach.

As for the original question.... It is actually against the FAR's to put an N number on an aircraft before possessing the registration showing a specific N number assigned to a specific serial and model #.

Do not engrave your data plate until you have the aircraft registered. The data plate must match the registration exactly.

You may place the registration numbers on the aircraft before you receive the hard copy of registration but it must show up in the FAA registry.
You may not fly the aircraft until you receive the hard copy.

It may not directly apply to this question, but my understanding is that when the plane is registered is when the state comes after you for sales or use tax. Others may have more current information on that.

Do not engrave your data plate until you have the aircraft registered. The data plate must match the registration exactly.

You may place the registration numbers on the aircraft before you receive the hard copy of registration but it must show up in the FAA registry.
You may not fly the aircraft until you receive the hard copy.
This is worth repeating - EXACTLY - even it it is wrong. A 10-friend had to change his data plate after the AW inspection due to an error. Only what is required.

Every space, comma and period - EXACTLY.