BruceP

Well Known Member
I am sloooowwww building my 9A (son still in college...) and was wondering what anyone's thoughts are about when to buy the engine vs the avionics. I'm thinking it'll take me at least two years or so to scrape together the necessary funds to finish my plane. My current thought is to buy the engine first with the long term storage prep since avionics seem to be changing at rapid pace and who knows what will come out later this year or next. Does that make sense to you all? Thanks in advance for your input.

Good Plan

Make sure you get the engine setup for storage. A good friend didn't opt for this-he targeted a finish date he wasn't able to hit. One year later, a new engine required a teardown. You're also correct about avionics. The latest equipment costs less than a steam gauge setup and the capabilities are pretty incredible. Avionics last, and then consider the type of flying you intend and float a question on the forum. Bet you'll have suggestions for equipment that isn't even available today.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N3223TP

Your on the right track. When you get ready to wire, get Startk or Stein to build up your avionics harness and buy the trays first. Wire everything up and buy the radios when you are ready for them. I was also a SLooooow build, Pay as you go builder.

I concur with Alton and Terry.

You need your engine hung to work on your cowl, so time the engine purchase with the finish kit.

Stein, Stark, Aerotronics will all sell you harnesses and trays for your avionics in advanced. Then by the avionics just before you fly. This allows you more time to get your aircraft fully wired without having expensive avionics on the shelf collecting dust. Also ensuring that you can take advantage of any new products that may be released during this time.

bob

I agree that if you have to make a choice, you'll get a LOT more done on the airplane (that NEEDS to get done before first flight) with the engine (and prop) in hand first. It is extremely convenient to have the avionics available as early as possible to do wiring while everything is wide open, but that is not hard to work around.

As far as waiting until the last minute for "the latest" in avionics, remember that no matter when you buy, the day you open up the boxes of new shiny electronics, there is already going to be something better available, so don't set yourself up to be disappointed. Pick what fits your mission and stop looking at the advertisements....;)

If you always wait for the next best thing, you'll never buy!

Engine first

... [snip] My current thought is to buy the engine first with the long term storage prep since avionics seem to be changing at rapid pace and who knows what will come out later this year or next. Does that make sense to you all? Thanks in advance for your input.

That is what I did. The engine won't change over the next few years, but the avionics sure will. And, if you pay for the engine now, the biggest single cost is out of the way, which makes it easier to budget for the avionics.

Paul is right. I have steam gauges and have flown more places than some people with the fancy smancy glass ever will.

As far as waiting until the last minute for "the latest" in avionics, remember that no matter when you buy, the day you open up the boxes of new shiny electronics, there is already going to be something better available, so don't set yourself up to be disappointed. Pick what fits your mission and stop looking at the advertisements....;)

If you always wait for the next best thing, you'll never buy!

I have to agree. I can't tell you how many times friends would get angry because they bought the latest smartphone or whatever and then something better comes out. I always want to grab them by the shirt collars and say, "What did you think? That you bought the best phone ever for all time and there will never be anything better?" :confused:

Define your requirements. In fact, write them down. And then get what fits your requirements, nothing more, nothing less. You'll be happy.

Cheers,

I agree all the way. There probably won't be much difference between an '11 Lyc and a 2012! Also, if you start looking long before you need one, you might find something used that would save you a few AMUs ($000s.) I found a FWF from a 6A that a hangar fell on that was low time and saved over $10k. It happens!

Bob

Counter to points above about needing a prop and timing the engine buy with the finish kit, you don't need a prop until you're close to inspection, and there's a lot that can be done with the finish kit before the engine is required.

From the finish kit, you can fit the saddle fairing, install the canopy and all the gear fairings (except upper intersection), install the engine mount and most of the FWF stuff attached to the firewall. You do need the engine to install the cowl. The prop/spinner is simulated with spacers, and the only need for the prop during construction is the cutouts in the spinner cone (a few hours task). Don't mount the prop until engine start; it's nothing but in the way until then.

John Siebold

If your going with a fixed pitch prop I would recommend getting the prop extension while fitting the cowling. That way you can center the cowl opening around where the spinner will set. I got my engine installed before worrying about the avionics. I would get the probes for whatever engine monitor system you plan to use while doing the FWF tasks on the engine. As one of the previous posters has mentioned I would leave the prop off until the last possible moment. It does make it more manageable with fitting the baffles and other engine tasks when its not in the way.

OK so I'll be disagreeable again

I do agree that one should ignore the greener pastures of future avionics and get what you want out of the market today.

I DON'T agree that buying the engine before avionics is automatically the best financial path for the following reasons:

Assume tight budget as stated in original post.
Assume builder scratch builds panel rather than using builder assistance.
Designing, fabricating and wiring an IFR panel can take a CONSIDERABLE amount of calendar time while saving a load of dough.
Who wants to have $30,000 engine and prop expenditure sitting there rusting while waiting for a panel and systems wiring to be completed?
The avionics can be purchased piecemeal to control budget.

You can get a fake engine from Precision for $900 to do all the firewall forward ( I just found this recently when looking for RSA-5 servo manual )

You can get a fake engine from Precision for $900 to do all the firewall forward ( I just found this recently when looking for RSA-5 servo manual )

But this is $900 less he'll have for the project, and that's more than enough to outfit his panel with CB's, switches, a few hundred feet of wire and some indicator lights.

But this is $900 less he'll have for the project, and that's more than enough to outfit his panel with CB's, switches, a few hundred feet of wire and some indicator lights.

True dat.

The assumption was that this fixture could be mostly recouped via Ebay or VAF sale afterwards. That was just a sidenote really. My main point was about budget control via gradual invesment in the many parts of the panel vs the one monster check to vans for the engine and prop. I my opinion, that should be delayed as long as possible.

Obviously, I am drawing from my own experience. My panel work has taken well more than a year for me to complete. On the other hand, since all the penetrations were already done and wires hangin, the assy after placing the engine is roaring along way faster than I expected.

If a builder is going to use an avionics shop to build the panel, that changes everything. In that case, both the budget control and the time to completion changes so my position might not apply.

you have goten' some ............

good advice here. its kinda like a cranky wife, doesn't matter what you do she's a gona talk back to ya. just dont divorce her, stay with her for the long haul, there is nothing like getting in her and going for a long ride, fast or slow, high or low, right side up or up side down, there's nothing like flying a RVeeeeeeeeeeeeee. from turboeddieeeeeeee!