Iluke

Well Known Member
A quick question for someone farther along. I just finished the fuselage bulkheads and the next step in the plans is to bend the longerons. I'm just wondering if there is a need to do that now, or could I put it off until later. It looks to me like I don't need the longerons until I go to join the aft and center fuselages. My concern it storing the long, awkward fragile bent longerons until then and not damaging them. If I can leave them "raw" until I need them I can keep them stored where they've been.

So, is there any reason I'm not aware of that I shouldn't delay bending the longerons until later?

thanks

The bend isn't too extreme - they are still pretty straight when done. I had mine hung from some hooks on the ceiling of the garage. Pulled the raw ones down, bent them, and put them back up until needed.

No reason not to wait. You don't need the longerons bent until you join the aft and center fuselage. They're a bit more awkward to store after the bend, but it's not that bad. I just installed my longerons yesterday, that's when it really starts looking like an airplane is taking over my garage.

Longerons

Agreed. If you use some aligator clamps and join them, they take up very little space.

The other plus about waiting is that it is much easier to visualize how they need to be bent if you already have the fuselage sections assembled...