pierre smith

Well Known Member
...still run in the background? While it "slept" for 5 hours on the ramp yesterday, the charged battery went down to 8% when we decided to leave and come home.

I usually turn it off with the on-off button and it will hold a full charge for a long time. My better half wanted to contest my thinking....what say you? I think "sleeping" is using more power than "off".

Thanks,

yes it does. depending on the settings of your system it could be still drawing a considerable percentage of the normal draw.

When the iPad "sleeps" when you quickly touch the on-off button it still uses a little power as you've seen so it's ready to come back on almost instantly (it doesn't need to boot up.) When you hold the button down it does turn completely off and doesn't use any power, even though over time the battery will still drain down very slowly.

Your laptop or desktop computer probably has a similar sleep mode.

Laptops or desktops also normally have a "hibernate" mode which writes the current status all of your current settings, open programs, etc. to the hard drive then it can come back to where you were much faster than booting up from scratch, but not as fast as a complete boot.

Even if it sleeps depending on the settings you still can receive a call via Skype. I didn't know that and got an unexpected call in the middle of the night :(

I have an IPod touch 3rd generation and I have to turn off the Wi-Fi before I shut the thing down. The easiest way to do this is to put the IPod in Airplane mode and then shut down. If I don?t do this the battery will be dead in the morning. Apple knows about this ?feature? that first appeared with the latest software upgrade.

Russ Keith
RV9-A 1909k

Power consumption while sleeping is probably dependent on what apps are installed and/or running, particularly if you've upgraded to iOS 4.2, which allows apps to run in the background. Did you maybe have Foreflight or something similar open when you put it to sleep?

As a comparison, I'm typing this on my iPad, which hasn't seen a charger in about 28 hours, and I still have 15% battery life. I find in daily use that my charge doesn't change appreciably when I let the iPad sleep off the charger.

Wifi and GPS consumes a significant amount of power. With my cell phone I always turn Wifi off when I'm not using it.

GPS won't run in the background if you have an iOS version less than 4.0. With 4.0 they added "multitasking" which really only allows certain things to be run in the background. Those things include GPS, VOIP and programmer specified operations that are finite in duration. I think that those operation time out after 10 minutes. The programmer specified operations were intended, as an example, to let an ongoing process such as a download continue when the app is moved to the background.

The kicker here is that whether these resources are used or not is application specific.