I have an RV6A with a 0360A1A, 780TT. The engine was manufactured in 1992. I noticed today that I may have a float problem with my Carb. The engine runs rough right after landing and I noticed gas leaking from the cowl after shutdown. With close to 800 hours would you just replace the floats (if that is the problem) or go ahead and have the entire carb rebuilt? I am not familiar with how long a carb typically lasts before overhaul

Any recommendations on who should do the overhaul? Is it fairly simple just to replace the floats? Is there an easy way to determine if it is the floats?

Thanks

I'll try to help but I am no expert. First, find out where that gas is coming from. Get the cowling off and look. It could be at any joint in the fuel system or even a hose. Fix that before further flight. If it is dribbling out of the airbox then that suggests a stuck float or leaking needle valve in the carb, as you surmised, but there are other places that can leak, too. Carburetors should not leak. Generally, a carburetor will go to engine TBO but yours has 15 years as well as 800 hours on it so it might be time. Over the years numerous revisions have been made to the floats and venturis on these Marvel-Schebler (now Precision) carburetors. I can't remember what is currently being installed, but I do know that my carb was overhauled in 1993 and it has the up to date float and venturi, so yours just might, too. I don't want to mess with carburetors, even though I have an A&P, because I don't have currrent knowledge and it is a pretty critical part. If you can find someone who knows carburetors you might be able to do a bench repair, but it is just as easy once it is off the airplane to send it to Precision Airmotive in Everett, WA, and let them do it. Parts are expensive, typical airplane deal, but it will come back fixed right with the latest parts and revisions. Those guys do carbs every day. These carbs are pretty simple but if your mechanic hasn't looked inside one recently and doesn't have current data it could be bad for you. Hope I helped.