idleup

Well Known Member
I was making the center flap motor mount and it was saying to safety tie the flap motor actuator to the flap arm. There is no way I am going to final install that this early in the process before I paint the interior, I dont even think I have most of the interior built. Anyway, this leads to me wonder after which step of construction are most people painting the interior? I cannot tell which step will not require additional brackets or parts to be fabricated for the interior.

Also, when you paint the -A model interior do you paint the landing gear weldments even though they are powder coated? If so, how do you prep them for paint?

Thanks,
Matt

Matt

Once you get the floors in you are about ready to paint. Anything that attaches with screws can be painted later. About the gear mounts. I installed those after I painted and just masked the area off and shot them after they were installed. If you use a good paint (not a rattle can) you can usually touch up areas quite easily. The interior isn't that sensitive to a good paint job. There isn't large smooth surfaces that you can see from a distance.

I've been painting as I go, but I'm just useing a Rustoleum hammered finish rattle can. But I did the flap housing when I was where you are now, baggage floors, center cover....side covers in the bagage compartment , canopy frame etc., as I went.

At some point -- probably now -- (wings about to get mated, finishing kit due next week), I'll mask off the rest to shoot the bulkheads etc. I'll hae upholsery here and there so I'm not going to waste time or weight in a lot of areas.

Why?

I can see the panel needing a little paint to help with glare issues but I would leave the rest alone... just more cost, weight, build time... and what do you gain? Nada.

I left everything unpainted below the upper longerons except the heater cover. I painted the instrument panel, roll bar, and the aft upper skin with rustoleum rattle can stone paint. I used corrugated panels covered with fabric below the arm rests, then fabric covered foam between the longerons and bulkheads. Carpet covers the floor. Very simple, good looking, and no wear points to touch up later.

Roberta

robertahegy said:
I used corrugated panels covered with fabric below the arm rests, then fabric covered foam between the longerons and bulkheads.
Roberta

Roberta,

Corrugated panels? What are those?

Thanks,
Martin

Wait as long as possible

From my experience, wait as long as possible. As an example, near the end of the construction, after you have had EVERYTHING installed, and before you put the wings on for the final time would be a good time. Take the removeable stuff out and paint before putting everything back together before inspection. By waiting you will done with most of the wrench dropping, cutting and fitting of things etc....

I also wholeheartedly agree with Roberta to only paint what you need to paint. If you are doing an interior find some photos or look at a couple of planes with this type and see what is exposed. I am installing the interior from Abby at Flightline and now realize how much of the interior I did not need to paint.

I paint after everything is fitted to the fuse (excepting flying surfaces), but clunky blockages like roll bars, slider rails, upper forward fuse structure, etc., can be detached or aren't yet riveted. Then turn the fuse upside down. Real easy (relatively speaking) to stick your head in front to rear to see what you're doing, get a straight shot into difficult corners, and the hose won't drag dirt in to fall on the floor. If the fuse is right side up, you often are shooting back at yourself to paint under overhanging stuff, like F705, and you can't judge application. Also, I use an airbrush in tight areas, and a touch-up gun for everything else.

John Siebold

I have used AKZO primer on everything on my plane except for all those surfaces that will show in the cockpit. Those I primed with light gray PPG DP epoxy primer and that's it. Tough as nails and looks a lot better than that AKZO green. All this was done before assembly.

I got the panels from Airtec interiors. The stuff is like corrugated cardboard, but white, and plastic-like. It's made for interior panels.

Roberta

Here is a shot of an uncovered panel being fitted.

sidepanel19oo.jpg

Here is a shot of the finished panel installed.

interior11lk.jpg

Last edited:
Coroplast

The material Roberta used is called Coroplast. It's used for temporary signage, document boxes, and a lot of other things. People use it to build fairings for human-powered vehicles because it's lightweight, flexible, and reasonably strong. You should be able to find a source easily via a Yahoogle search.