prkaye

Well Known Member
The Orndoff video suggested not to put too many screws in when fitting the tank since it apparently has to come off prior to assembly anyway.
So we have to re-attach the tank with all the wing skins in-place? To put the screws through the spar to the Z-brackets, is this done through those access holes? Seems like this will be a pain...

Phil,

I don't know why they tell you that but I think you can bolt and screw them on now.

Mine were in place before I riveted the bottom skins on and to tell you the truth, after they were built, I found no reason to to remove them again.

When installing them, I found it easier to bolt the Z-brackets in place, then come back and put the screws in.

Good luck.

Updated thoughts:

When the wings were on for test fitting, I marked the fuel and vent lines for length. After removing the wings, I cut and flaired both and I sure hope they fit.

One option I saw and thought, "If I do this again...", was to put bulkhead fittings on the side of the fuselage for both the vent and fuel lines. Then I could have a short section of flex line made to go from the fuselage to the tanks. Easy to install, no worries, etc. Other than the extra fitting, of course.

Last edited:
Interesting that this should come up today. I have my wings mounted and am running the vent lines and fuel lines into the fuselage. The plans tell you to do this prior to removing the wings. Well, running the fuel lines through the side and through the 7A landing gear weldments was a real pain. To make it easier, I removed the tanks; and,yes you remove the AN3 bolts through the access panels. I found it easier to get to all of the bolts with the aileron pushrods removed. I will be painting the tanks separately so they had to come off sooner or later.

Steve Eberhart
RV-7A, O-360-A1A, Catto 3 blade and who knows what else will find its way onto the plane

should I attach tanks prior to wing close?

I'm getting ready to close my wings and I was wondering if I should attach the tanks permanently now. I have all the bolts / screws installed snugly, but not torqued. It would be so easy to torque them (and put on torque seal) with the bottom skins off.

Do the tanks have to come off for wing mating (looks like Dan C. mated the wings with tanks on)? What about painting?

I'm leaning towards installing them now, but the manual kind of implies that the tanks may have to come off later.

Thanks for any help,

My QB wings came with the tanks attached, and I have never removed them.....but I ID check the torques on all the bolts as Van's instructs!

Paul

I'm getting ready to close my wings and I was wondering if I should attach the tanks permanently now. I have all the bolts / screws installed snugly, but not torqued. It would be so easy to torque them (and put on torque seal) with the bottom skins off.

Do the tanks have to come off for wing mating (looks like Dan C. mated the wings with tanks on)? What about painting?

I'm leaning towards installing them now, but the manual kind of implies that the tanks may have to come off later.

Thanks for any help,
Dave,

Finish bolting, torqueing, and torque sealing those tanks. There is no reason to remove them again, unless there is a leak.