Noah

Well Known Member
FAA requires a 25 hour flyoff for a "certified" engine / prop combination, 40 hours for all others. Insurance for your RV is cheaper if you use a "certified" engine and prop as well.

But what does this mean, really?:confused:

I'd like to install an Airflow Performance purge valve, and maybe a Lightspeed or some other EI on my engine. If I do this, however, it is no longer "certified", right? It no longer conforms to the type certificate data sheet, overhaul manual, drawings, etc. I certainly couldn't get away with putting one of these in a Cessna without an STC or a 337. So do you need a 40 hour flyoff if you use a lightspeed on a Lycoming engine? Or does the FAA / DARs "look the other way" with regard to "minor engine mods" like these. Is insurance more?

I'm getting ready to overhaul my Lycoming in a local shop but I don't think my A&P, who is a "by the book" type guy (as well he should be!) is willing to allow aftermarket or non-yellow-tagged stuff on there.

I had been hoping to keep things "certified" as much as possible with the engine and prop for the aforementioned reasons. But Airflow Performance wants over $1000 MORE for a yellow tagged fuel servo, because they have to throw away all the old parts, even if they're still serviceable. Don from Airflow says "From a reliability and functional stand point there is no difference in an experimental overhaul and a certified overhaul when the systems leave our shop. The choice is yours".

This has me thinking, maybe I should forego this approach of keeping everything "certified" and yellow tagged. What do you think?

Is George :cool: McQueen still on here? I always appreciated his insightful (and detailed!:D) responses on these kind of engine issues...

As always, thanks in advance for your comments.

You are correct. Anything you do to the engine that varies from the type certificate makes it experimental and it immediately goes to a 40 hour fly-off. Also remember, it must be a certificated engine/PROP combination to qualify for 25 hrs.
On the other hand, you cannot do a complete test program in 25 hours anyway. If you do, you have missed something.

Last edited:
Do you have a comprehensive list of things to do?

Mel:

I am interested in a list of items to flight test (in my case for an RV-10). I have flown off the full 40 hours but for the life of me I couldn't think of much to test after about 20 hours.

Here is a list of some of the things I did:

Weight and balance scenarios
Slow flight and stalls
Determined Vx and Vy and best glide
Speed tests
Engine cooling and sensor tests
Oil consumption
Electrical load tests
Fuel tank calibration
I worked all the bugs out of the avionics (mostly)

After about 20 hours I mostly flew approaches (VFR).

Did I miss anything?

thanks,

This is what I was told. If you take a certified engine and hang it on an experimental, and I suppose fly it, you can't swap it back to a certified aircraft without at least having an A&P re-certify it. So, lets say I have a perfectly good 172 with an O-360 I pull the engine off and fly it for say an hour on the RV. According to my source I can't pull that engine back off and put it back on the 172. Not without jumping some hoops.

What about insurance?

OK, I can accept a 40 hour flyoff, especially since Mel says it will take that long anyway.;) But what about insurance? I would think that most people would say to their insurance company "I have a certified O-360", even if they put a lightspeed on it. Are the insurance companies savvy enough to know that you have an experimental engine if you took off a mag and put on a lightspeed?

Last edited:
OK, I can accept a 40 hour flyoff, especially since Mel says it will take that long anyway.;) But what about insurance? I would think that most people would say to their insurance company "I have a certified O-360", even if they put a lightspeed on it. Are the insurance companies savvy enough to know that you have an experimental engine if you took off a mag and put on a lightspeed?
I have a 100% experimental Aerosport O-360 on my airplane. I can't prove it, but I doubt if I pay a penny more than someone who went to the trouble to have a Lycoming O-360 and certified propeller combination. Of course the insurance companies aren't dumb. The more "experimental" your engine becomes the more likely, I think, that it will cost more.

I strongly advise being completely honest with your insurance company. If you aren't, you might as well not pay the money at all. They may not take fraud lightly and would be within their rights to deny a claim if they find there was willful misrepresentation. I think this would also be well within their moral rights.

I recently got a few quotes for insurance. Nobody asked anything about the engine - only the airplane itself. I think you will find it doesnt make any difference.

erich

Insurance for your Lyc

Of course the insurance companies aren't dumb. The more "experimental" your engine becomes the more likely, I think, that it will cost more.

I strongly advise being completely honest with your insurance company. If you aren't, you might as well not pay the money at all. They may not take fraud lightly and would be within their rights to deny a claim if they find there was willful misrepresentation. I think this would also be well within their moral rights.

I agree wholeheartedly, Larry. I guess the point I'm making is twofold:
1. Does your average RV builder KNOW that they no longer have a certified engine if they take a Lyc out of a certified airplane and make a simple mod to it, installing an aftermarket part like a purge valve? I didn't, until I read Mel's post, but then again, I'm a little wet behind the ears when it comes to this stuff!:D I would've thought this was part of the airframe's fuel system, not the engine, but what do I know?

2. Does the insurance company send a detailed questionnaire with their application, effectively wanting to see your master equipment list? How detailed are they in asking what you have for an engine, and what parts you used, and whether they were yellow tagged, and whether an A&P signed off the engine? Do they want to see the logbooks? Is it misrepresentation if they don't ask, and you don't tell? (Doesn't the military have a policy like this?);)

How would the insurance company know to charge you more for your Lycoming which is "more experimental" than somebody elses?

Last edited:
...Is it misrepresentation if they don't ask, and you don't tell?...
I think you will be fine if you just answer the questions. I can't remember how detailed my initial chat with the agent was. I'm not sure if he asked if it had a carburetor or fuel injection. I do remember him asking what the engine was. He didn't even pause, he knew what it was. Something less common, maybe there would be more questions.

By the way, I just filled out my renewal form today, if you can call that filling something out. I really like the way SkySmith lets you fill out an online form now, that has the old data right there. Just change what has changed. Mucho convenient.

It still says Aerosport O-360 in the engine box, there is no box for the propeller.

Conclusions

I had been planning to work with my A&P to do this overhaul in an arrangement where he oversees the work and provides assistance as necessary, and then signs it off when done. I may have to rethink this based on this discussion. So the takeaways from this, as I see them, are:

1. If I want to put a non-LASAR EI or a purge valve on my engine, it will not be certified anymore.

2. Such a non-certified engine will require a 40 hour flyoff, not 25.

3. A good flight test period will take this long anyway to wring out the bugs.

4. There is unlikley to be any increase in insurance as a result of these changes to the engine, and

5. There is probably NO POINT in having an A&P sign off the engine, if that means doing the overhaul, and then making the several planned changes I want to make afterwards, because it will cost a lot more time and money. I would be better off just going "experimental" on the engine from the get-go.

Whaddya think, do you agree with this logic??

How do you assign a serial number?

I have what started out as an O-320 A3B....then I had lycon make a set of custom pistons and cylinders.

I too k the data tag off, as I was required, and was simply going to call in an experimental 320 SS.

But, the data tag establishes the serial number, which is requested on the FAA paperwork. I note that the regs do not require a serial number, but the registration does. If I simply put 0001, then the DAR will want to see a data plate with that serial number.

But the regs do not require a data plate for a homebuilt either. This has to have been solved by someone.

I asked Nations Air about considerations for certified vs. non-certified aircraft engines are they said it didn't matter as long as they were real aircraft enginers, i.e. Lycomings or their clones. It is auto conversions they really don't like. So, even if you build up your own Lycoming clone engine from a stack of parts yourself, you can get ensured as if you bought a fully certified Lycoming.

Sign Off

5. There is probably NO POINT in having an A&P sign off the engine, if that means doing the overhaul, and then making the several planned changes I want to make afterwards, because it will cost a lot more time and money. I would be better off just going "experimental" on the engine from the get-go.

The A&P "sign-off" may help you if/when you sell your RV. It does add a little credibility to the engine build process...

A really good record of all parts used with lots of assembly pictures might do just as much good though....:)

gil A

The A&P "sign-off" may help you if/when you sell your RV. It does add a little credibility to the engine build process...

A really good record of all parts used with lots of assembly pictures might do just as much good though....:)

gil A

Well, if I can get the A&P to sign it off with the EI, the purge valve, and the non-yellow tagged injection servo & other changes, then I agree that that would be some added benefit. Not to mention that he will likely be more careful with his name going in the logbook. But honestly, I doubt that is likely with most A&Ps, don't you think? If he requires me to put new mags on and use only yellow-tagged parts for the signoff, and then take them off to install the parts I really want after the signature is in the logbook, then I think I'd have to forego the A&P signoff - too expensive.

Signing...

Well, if I can get the A&P to sign it off with the EI, the purge valve, and the non-yellow tagged injection servo & other changes, then I agree that that would be some added benefit. Not to mention that he will likely be more careful with his name going in the logbook. But honestly, I doubt that is likely with most A&Ps, don't you think? If he requires me to put new mags on and use only yellow-tagged parts for the signoff, and then take them off to install the parts I really want after the signature is in the logbook, then I think I'd have to forego the A&P signoff - too expensive.

Depends how friendly you are with the A&P. He could sign the log book as "assembled per Lycoming xxxx... as a O-360-yyy except for ....." and document the non-certified parts. In your case, only a couple of specific items.

This makes the engine and assembly sound (and is...:)...) much better than throwing it together from a bunch of used airboat parts...

gil A

Most A&Ps shouldn't have a problem...

signing off an experimental engine as long as they list the "non-approved" parts.

Lycoming Experimental

I had been planning to work with my A&P to do this overhaul in an arrangement where he oversees the work and provides assistance as necessary, and then signs it off when done. I may have to rethink this based on this discussion. So the takeaways from this, as I see them, are:

1. If I want to put a non-LASAR EI or a purge valve on my engine, it will not be certified anymore.

2. Such a non-certified engine will require a 40 hour flyoff, not 25.

3. A good flight test period will take this long anyway to wring out the bugs.

4. There is unlikley to be any increase in insurance as a result of these changes to the engine, and

Noah:

I agree with your conclusions.

You need to think about resale; so the more thoroughly you document your engine during overhaul and assembly the better.

Set your engine up right as you want it from the start; you'll save money by not having/wanting to make changes later on. Also, if you make a significant change, you'll need to go back into Phase I testing as per your operating Limitations.

I think you will be fine if you just answer the questions. I can't remember how detailed my initial chat with the agent was. I'm not sure if he asked if it had a carburetor or fuel injection. I do remember him asking what the engine was. He didn't even pause, he knew what it was. Something less common, maybe there would be more questions.

By the way, I just filled out my renewal form today, if you can call that filling something out. I really like the way SkySmith lets you fill out an online form now, that has the old data right there. Just change what has changed. Mucho convenient.

It still says Aerosport O-360 in the engine box, there is no box for the propeller.

It doesn't matter what you tell the agent anyways, ultimately what you put in writing is what will be binding. I have had 3 planes now, and not one of them had insurance where they even asked if it had an engine, let alone what type. Just make sure you are accurate on the policy/disclosures and you will be okay.

Typing with my .......

Is George :cool: McQueen still on here? I always appreciated his insightful (and detailed!:D) responses on these kind of engine issues...

As always, thanks in advance for your comments.
Doug broke both my hands, so I am typing with my @#^$& toes.

The short answer is by definition, an engine in an experimental plane is an experimental engine. What does that mean? Not a lot unless you're having problems getting the FAA to sign your plane off. It also means complete freedom to do almost anything you want FWF! Unless you have dreams of selling your engine back to some guy with a Cessna, Piper or Mooney, that uses that exact model engine, don't worry about it.

The insurance aspect is an important issue. I have a Lyc O-360-A1A certified, rebuilt AI (by the book), with known prop combo. However the electronic ignition puts a wrinkle in the pedigree. As suggested, be honest and disclose all to your insurance agent. I recall the policy papers asked if the engine was experimental or not. A Cessna guy whose annual was out by a week and had an accident. They did not pay off! Ouch. Don't give'em a reason to not pay.

There are "issues", regarding "experimental engines": 25 v 40 hours, data tag removal, AD compliance, maintence and return to service in a certified plane. (The last item, is least important to me, but it may be the underlying cause for Feds being so conservative or A-retentive. They can't let go of standard airworthiness regs, including part 23, 39 and 43 to name a few of many, that don't apply.)

25 v 40 hours - I can't get too excited about that. It takes about 100 hours to work all the bugs out of a new plane; another 15 hours is no big deal, even if the prop/engine are a known/approved config, with stock ignition & fuel system. Is the air box stock? No. There is no award for getting 25 hour phase I. In my case, my prop and engine are an approved combo, but the EI and prop not being yellow tagged might bother the FAA. You can't mix experimental with type cert std airworthiness. It gets to be grey when you use a cert engine in an experimental but pick a side. Its experimental RIGHT? You can't legally have a "cert engine" in an experimental because there's no TYPE CERT for the installation.

Some Feds require removal of data tags, even though the engine/prop/ignition/fuel delivery are all stock and AD's are complied with. One Fed/DAR does not care; the next Fed wants you to take the data tag off. This is where the FAA hypocrisy comes in. On one hand they say it's experimental. On the other hand they want us to comply with TYPE CERT and standard airworthiness regs? CAN'T HAVE BOTH.

Regarding AD's. Part 39, compliance with AD's does not apply to an experimental aircraft. The FAA can't make you comply with the AD! Why? It's experimental. The FAA tries to play both sides. Airworthiness Directives (part 39) do not apply to homebuilts. You can't have it both ways. You can't call cert props/engines experimental when in an experimental and than ALSO impose FAR's that apply to type cert parts & planes.

Experimental aircraft are not maintained per Part 43. Anyone can work on or modify a homebuilt, you, me, my dog or my friends 10 year old kid, regardless of who built it. So if a Fed say you need an A&P sign off, say thank you but no, this meeting is over. The FAA can not tell you an A&P sign off is needed for anything, engine, FI or prop.

The issue of returning an engine back to certified service, after living in a homebuilt, is no big deal. I'll worry if I ever come to that bridge. The certified world is where the pain is. NOW you need the A&P, AI and Fed to bless and say yes. The FAA or AI could demand a tear down of the engine, carb, FI and mags to assure "compliance" with the type certificate. If you are worried, than all your by the book documentation and "compliance" will help you later (may be avoid tear down).

Bottom line, certified engine, installed in an experimental airplane, even with a KNOWN prop combo, stock mags and stock fuel system, is EXPERIMENTAL. Why? Because the installation is not per a type certificate standard and/or not maintained per the FAR 43.

"This has me thinking, maybe I should forego this approach of keeping everything "certified" and yellow tagged. What do you think?"

Does electronic ignition affect its engine status?
Does an experimental Catto prop affect engine status?
Does a AFP FI system affect the engines status?

Who cares its experimental, but is safety affected? I had my engine and carb done by the book, like you did. The AI helping me rebuild my engine, would not entertain a little bump on compression. I'm glad I went stock, because 180HP is enough, and I know its "certified". My prop is NOT yellow tagged, the blades where 0.001 out of thickness spec near the tip, one location. Is it safe. I talked to Hartzell and they said it was no problem. The FAA can impose 40 hours and/or take my engines data tag off, but they can't make me comply with AD's or deny approval, IT'S Experimental. If they allow a Mazda or Eggen....there is no difference.

WE HAVE NO LIMITS ON Experimenting, but we all care about safety

Engines get TYPE CERTIFICATES. The type includes accessories like fuel delivery and mags, as well as compression and standard parts. The engine type cert is half the story. That engine is NOT approved for aircraft use unless it's installed Per another TYPE CERTIFICATE, per a STANDARD airworthiness and configuration (installation). This is where the approved prop/engine combo comes in. For an installation to comply with a type, every nut and bolt (and air box) must meet or comply with the type cert.

Experimental planes have no TYPE or standard airworthiness configuration or installation. Vans filtered air-box (FAB) is not FAA approved. The installation is experimental, regardless of anything else, making the engine de facto experimental. Put a stock engine back in the right plane with the right blessing, than its not experimental any more. It's magic & academic.

Don't totally ignore TYPE CERT & AD's, for safety reasons; looking at standard typ cert LIMITS is a good idea, before "experimenting". Years ago, guys cut metal props down, re-pitched them, way past their TYPE CERT limits. The results where BAD! Going from MAG to EI has a big affect on some props. If you're a conservative person, stay close to the type config as much as you can, to avoid "unknown consequences". No one knew about the mags v EI prop affect 5 yrs ago.

If you are an experimental guy, than there are no limit, and the FAA can' say squat! :D (Just be aware of the risks in being a true test pilot.)

The FAA?
FAA, Designee's and Mechanics are afraid to make a mistake and lose their job or licence, so they are uber conservative. They figure if they pile on rules and mix-N-match with part 23, 39 & 43 (that do not apply) they will be safe (their job).

The idea we home-builders have LOT's of freedom and few Regs, either does not grasp them or appeal to their authoritarian personality. They also may, with GOOD intentions, be trying to impose their opinion of what is safe or safer on us, Regs or not. I see GOOD intentions trying to be Regs.

FSDO's are under staffed. The FAA's main mission is AIR Carrier and commercial Op's. Who da thunk over 5000 experimental kit planes from Van would fly way back when. Some FSDO's are doing 10 experimental planes a week. Wait and see, the FAA will be privatized and Fee's imposed in the next 10 yrs. Will we get better and more consistent service or just Fee's?

Cheers Got to go, beating on the key-board with my @#$%^ toes, has tired it out.

Last edited: