CubedRoot

Well Known Member
I am about to finish up my horizontal stabilizer, and before I rivet on the rear spar I want to make sure I don't miss any chances for an inspector to take a look.

I am in the US, and I plan on applying for the repairman certificate once this plane is done. However, I am not 100% sure on when I should have inspections done to appease the FAA to get an airworthiness and repairman certificate(s).

Does a DAR come out an inspect the plane when its near flight ready and issue the certificate then? Or do they need to come out periodically during the build to "sign-off" on your progress?

I am planning on having an EAA tech counselor come by before I rivet on the rear spar, to make sure I am on track and doing things right, but I am looking for clarification on what needs to be done for the official FAA inspections.

Thanks!

I am nearing completion of my -7A and will soon be scheduling an inspection. I've been told that the DARs in this area only confirm the paperwork is correct.

I've not heard of any DAR doing in-progress inspections but you might find one that is willing.

I don't know where you heard that DAR's in this area only do paperwork inspections? I am from Atlanta (I see you are in Georgia), and I assure you that I do more than a paperwork inspection. :) So don't hesitate to give me a call, assuming you would like a thorough inspection.
I have also done many "in-progress" inspections for those that ask. And it is so easy today to use FaceTime and be able to discuss any areas of concern along the way. :)

Vic

I am wanting someone to look this thing over thoroughly and tell me of any deficiencies, before I put my life in it. Personally, I am trying to build a superior quality airplane, but I also realize I am a new builder and will probably make mistakes.

I am wondering what the process is to have this airplane get its certificates, and if there is any points in the build where I need to pause working so that I can have an "official" FAA inspection done (if any are even required during a build).

However, since I want to build the best possible plane, I would like to have as many eyes on it as I can to let me know if I am on the right rack.

Vic, I am not too far from you up in the Chattanooga / Ooltewah area! Do you do inspections this far North?

I don't know where you heard that DAR's in this area only do paperwork inspections? I am from Atlanta (I see you are in Georgia), and I assure you that I do more than a paperwork inspection. :) So don't hesitate to give me a call, assuming you would like a thorough inspection.
I have also done many "in-progress" inspections for those that ask. And it is so easy today to use FaceTime and be able to discuss any areas of concern along the way. :)

Vic

Vic,

You and I met at 3J1 last year (I drooled on your RV-10 :D ). The DAR(s) in question are in the SE South Carolina area - Columbia and/or Charleston.

Sounds like you have another customer in TN now :)

I am wanting someone to look this thing over thoroughly and tell me of any deficiencies, before I put my life in it. Personally, I am trying to build a superior quality airplane, but I also realize I am a new builder and will probably make mistakes.

I am wondering what the process is to have this airplane get its certificates, and if there is any points in the build where I need to pause working so that I can have an "official" FAA inspection done (if any are even required during a build).

However, since I want to build the best possible plane, I would like to have as many eyes on it as I can to let me know if I am on the right rack.

Vic, I am not too far from you up in the Chattanooga / Ooltewah area! Do you do inspections this far North?
There are others, like Vic or Mel, who know much more than I do concerning your question. However, I will say that having built two planes and had them signed off both times by an FAA inspector I can tell you they are going to come out, inspect, and sign off whenever it is you decide the thing is close to being ready to fly and you fill out, and send in, the appropriate forms. You most certainly can get "in progress" inspections by anyone who will agree to do so but it is not a requirement to have an FAA inspector or a DAR do so prior to the final airworthiness inspection.

Just a note for any Canadians reading, this info applies to US inspections. I am aware there are different requirements for you guys up north.

There are others, like Vic or Mel, who know much more than I do concerning your question. However, I will say that having built two planes and had them signed off both times by an FAA inspector I can tell you they are going to come out, inspect, and sign off whenever it is you decide the thing is close to being ready to fly and you fill out, and send in, the appropriate forms. You most certainly can get "in progress" inspections by anyone who will agree to do so but it is not a requirement to have an FAA inspector or a DAR do so prior to the final airworthiness inspection.

Just a note for any Canadians reading, this info applies to US inspections. I am aware there are different requirements for you guys up north.

Excellent. So it sounds like the "bare minimum" would be to get the plane ready to where I think is near flight ready, do the paperwork, and have the DAR come out and inspect.

But, ideally, what I should do is either get a DAR to come out periodically during the build to check my work, OR, get a reputable EAA tech counselor to look over the work periodically. This way I can get some assurance I am not jacking up my plane, get some good advice on how to do things and also fix any mistakes that would cause me to fail the actual final DAR inspection while they are easy to fix (during build progress).

Yes, I do inspections in Tennesse, N & S Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Mississipi and Alabama and would be honored to do yours.

Vic

But, ideally, what I should do is either get a DAR to come out periodically during the build to check my work, OR, get a reputable EAA tech counselor to look over the work periodically. This way I can get some assurance I am not jacking up my plane, get some good advice on how to do things and also fix any mistakes that would cause me to fail the actual final DAR inspection while they are easy to fix (during build progress).

What you are looking for is an EAA Technical Councelor.

Google it for more information.

This is the exact reason that they exist.

I suggest you find one specifically with a lot of experience with RV's.

EAA Tech Counselor

It sounds like what you are really looking for is to have an EAA Tech Counselor come out and do a progress inspection. When I was building, I was fortunate enough to find a tech counselor that was also a DAR.

Skylor

Oops, I didn't see Scott's reply before hitting send on my own...

Last edited:
What you are looking for is an EAA Technical Councelor.

Google it for more information.

This is the exact reason that they exist.

I suggest you find one specifically with a lot of experience with RV's.

Absolutely the right answer! Tech Counselors are volunteers, and the role was created for exactly what you want to do - have someone experienced look over the project once in awhile to make sure you're on track.

I advise folks that the first TC visit on an RV project should be before you close up the tail parts - that way, if you have a generic riveting issue, it can be caught and solved before you get too far along.

You local EAA chapter should be able to direct you to a TC, and if you don't have a local chapter, check with EAA HQ.

Paul

A lot of the DAR's are EAA Technical Counselors, myself included.

Vic

I knew you are Vic (and I think Mel also?).

My post was a general comment that would apply to anyone, just about anywhere.
EAA has a directory that can be accessed via their web site, for use to find TC's close to you.

EAA chapter

Our local DAR came by the EAA meeting last year and, along with going through the paperwork, basically told us that there isnt an inprogress inspection reqt and in general he didnt want to see our plane until its ready to taxi and/or fly. In our case, we have all builders in the chapter who've been thru the drill so we go look at each others projects. We've got metal builders, T&F, and composite guys so you get a wide range of eyeballs. What the DAR was keen on for in progress tho was some kind of documentation in your log that guys had been over to have a look-see - thats what he said the chapter is for. I did that with an entry and pics. Of course, if your chapter is a bunch of BBQ guys, then that wont work so well. But our DAR knows all the guys and wrote the tickets on all of their planes so he has a good idea of whos doing the looking......

I think most DARs holding function code 46 and/or 47 are EAA Tech Counselors.

Maybe in your part of the country, but none of the AZ ones are EAA Tech Counselors. :(

And the AZ DAR list seems to be shrinking rapidly... luckily the Scottsdale MIDO will visit for final inspection.

The questions posed by the original poster are addressed in the excellent document package offered by EAA. I used the package during the course of completing the paperwork of my latest project and found it to cover everything needed. It is a good buy at $20 and includes decals needed and a data plate.

Last edited: