Steve Ashby

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I am about to close out the right wing of my 8A by riveting on the bottom skins. There is a cutout for the air scoop (NACA duct) for the passenger vent on the inboard skin. I plan to RTV it on with about 5 rivets and a doubler plate. The question is, do I rivet this on before riveting the bottom skin on, or after? If I rivet it on now, will it interfere with bucking the rivets for the bottom skin? Anyone out there have any experience either way? Thanks for the advice.
Steve Ashby

I glued mine in with JB Weld after the riveting was completed. You might want to rough up the inside of the skin now, while you have easy access, so you don't over do it working blindly, later.
I just put on the JB Weld and taped the scoop in place w/ duct tape over night. No rivets. I have done this with other installations and have never had a problem. (Proseal would probably work for this also. I think others have used proseal successfully.)
Worked fine for me.

Proseal

I prosealed mine on before I riveted on the bottom skin. With regard to glueing the vents. I prosealed the two side fuselage vents on my -6 and two vents on my -8 without rivets as described by Steve and it has worked great. The -6 is now 14 years old and there have been no problems whatsoever.

Thanks a million

Thanks, guys. The proseal route sounds like a good plan. I will scuff the underside now and then proseal it once the wing bay is fully riveted.
Steve Ashby