Working on my rudder. As I read the instructions, Van's has you roll the edge before you rivet the skin to the frame.

From builder's logs and videos, I'm seeing more? roll after they rivet to the frame.

It appears rolling first will complicate the skin riveting to the vertical spar, and I would think the roll will be "cleaner", straighter with the skin riveted first, roll would not "leak" beyond the spar rivet line.

What did you do?

thanks
John

Roll edges

Working on my rudder. As I read the instructions, Van's has you roll the edge before you rivet the skin to the frame.

From builder's logs and videos, I'm seeing more? roll after they rivet to the frame.

It appears rolling first will complicate the skin riveting to the vertical spar, and I would think the roll will be "cleaner", straighter with the skin riveted first, roll would not "leak" beyond the spar rivet line.

What did you do?

thanks
John

Rolled leading edge or breaking edges?
I always did the edge break before dimpling because the roller would catch on dimples.
I can't see a way to roll leading eges before anything else. That's a finish step.
Maybe I missed something.

Its the "leading " edge of the rudder, and the elevators.

Tape to broom stick and roll curve in.

My instruction set is pretty clear that you do that after all the riveting of the skin and structure. I can't imagine successfully doing it any other way.