wickedsprint

Well Known Member
According to Van's website the 8 only gets pre-punched skins for the fuse, but reading some hints in the forums that the fuse is now offered total matched hole and no jig required...is this new or did I read something incorrectly?

The completely match-hole RV-8/A was announced by Van's at Oshkosh '06 and began shipping shortly after that.

Hmmm

The completely match-hole RV-8/A was announced by Van's at Oshkosh '06 and began shipping shortly after that.

This makes me wonder what I really picked up last summer. I picked up my first RV-8A QB kit and when I called about DWG numbers not matching the preview plans I was told my kit was made from non-matched hole parts. They said I might finish this older kit faster but I felt strongly that I wanted the matched hole technology. They said they had a matched hole kit in stock so I drove the first kit back and picked up the matched hole kit.

Well here I am a year later and working on the tail tie down block and I see a 3/4" hole that is put on the bottom of the skin for the -8 to gain access for a bolt that holds the tail wheel on. This had me wondering what else I should watch out for since I had some missing parts like the step and rear tie down when I picked up the kit. I called and I was told that due to growing pains with the initial matched hole QB kits mine was probably started as an -8 and fixed before it was irreversible. Now I have a hole in the tail I will have to fill, no big deal.

This all has me wondering if the matched hole stuff has been out there since 2006 why was my kit still sitting around in 2008 and happened to be in stock when I insisted on the matched hole. I have a nice buckle I just found a few weeks ago on the F-807 bulkhead, lower left side. I sent pictures to Van's and talked several times with them on the phone and they said this is no big deal and will not make a structural issue. But now I gotta wonder if I have a problem child kit:confused:

Aside from the buckle and having to call about various missing parts I have been happy with the workmanship.

Cheers

Thanks for the replies, pretty cool that it went matched hole, would not have made a difference in my decision to want to go slow build, but it's nice that it's more apt to be straight.

lag in pre-punch for QB's

I got my -8 QB kit in May 2007, and it was the older style fuselage. They had been shipping the pre-punch kits for some time by then, but the QB's that were coming back were still from the older kits. I don't know when the pre-punch QB's finally made it in, but I did see one at the factory in January.

From a QB standpoint, there are some interesting differences. Some things completed on mine are left undone on the pre-punch QB, and visa versa. If you think you might want to go fast-back, then the newer QB is the way to go, since the rear top skin is not installed.

I got my -8 QB kit in May 2007, and it was the older style fuselage. They had been shipping the pre-punch kits for some time by then, but the QB's that were coming back were still from the older kits. I don't know when the pre-punch QB's finally made it in, but I did see one at the factory in January.

From a QB standpoint, there are some interesting differences. Some things completed on mine are left undone on the pre-punch QB, and visa versa. If you think you might want to go fast-back, then the newer QB is the way to go, since the rear top skin is not installed.

Probably just do the normal style to keep the visibility.