Scott Will

Well Known Member
I'm sure you know what can happen...

Ferry crashes due to missing cotter pin

Missing cotter pin blamed for B.C. ferry accident
CTV.ca News Staff

A missing 3 cm cotter pin set off a chain of events that led to the grounding of a ferry at Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver last week.

BC Ferries says a control arm connecting the engine speed control device to the engine fuel rack disconnected when a nut came off the attachment bolt.

The nut came off because an inexpensive cotter pin that is normally in place to hold it in place was missing.

The disconnection of the bolt allowed the propulsion system to over-speed. Protective devices known as "over-speed trips" then engaged, and led to the shutdown of the propulsion system.

I hate when that happens! Friend of mine was in the process of buying a Bellanca Viking, it supposedly had just had its annual and all of the retractable gear had been overhauled. Well he writes the check and flies the plane home and while in flight realizes the gear won't go up. Upon closer inspection (not related to gear up failure) we notice a cotter pin missing on the anti-rotation brackets on the nose gear. NOT GOOD! Needless to say the plane was not purchased and delivered to a reputable Bellanca shop for a thorough going over. This could have been a serious catastrophy upon his first landing after the purchase.

One of the most common things I find on Airworthiness Inspections is missing cotter pins and safety wire. These items are sooo easy to overlook.
Mel...DAR