JohnF

Well Known Member
My RV-12 has no engine mounted yet so its rather light...and the wings, rudder and stabilator are not attached, but I keep seeing tires that seem to 'lean' out at the top, more so than you might expect. I triple checked the landing fear attachments, thinking something was wrong, but nothing is.

I suspect (hope) that when engine and wings, etc, are attached that the weight will flex the gear enough that the tires/wheels become somewhat more 'vertical' rather than tilted outward on the top.

Is that what your folks who have finished your plane noticed too?

John at Salida, CO
RV6A Flying

The tires should be approximately vertical with the complete aircraft at "operating" weight. Without wings, empennage, engine, fuel, pilot, passenger you're a LONG way from operating weight.

What Mel Said....
Right now your fuselage probably does weigh much more than 300 lbs.

That's less than 25% of what full up gross weight will be

Try rolling it....

...back and forth a ways. You probably had it raised to install the gear and wheels so it naturally is at the same angle as when you installed them.

Best,

I'm an old C-206 driver, so that kind of camber looks normal to me. the tires weren't straight up and down until I had 92 gallons fuel, my wife, three kids, baggage and two dogs on board. I miss that beast but enjoy these small planes, too!