codywelch

I'm New Here
I just installed the latest bubble type Van's wheel pants in place of the older narrower set on my 2003 RV-6 . Good new is +5KTS IAS. Bad news is that I have an unacceptable shimmy from 20-55K. Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:
Question

I just installed the latest bubble type Van's wheel pants in place of the older narrower set on my 2003 RV-6 . Good new is +5KTS IAS. Bad news is that I have an unacceptable shimmy from 20-55K. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have the narrow wheel pants also, and have a set the new style wheel pants to install. Currently, I do not have any shimmy problems, and do not have the gear leg stiffeners installed. However, I was planning to install them even though I don't currently have any problems. Do you have the stiffeners installed?
I am sure that you will get some good advice,and I will watch this thread much interest. Good Luck!

Did you do anything else, like change the tires? You want to rule out anything that has to do with tire balance before you start messing with aerodynamics or stiffeners.

I do not have the stiffeners. Today, I removed the new wheel pants and flew 'bare'. No shimmy. Thanks for the advice. I'll try the gear leg stiffeners.
Cody

shimmy

check your tire air press. it can make a diff. I use 40-42psi. on my RV-6. It does have wooden stiffeners.

SHIMMY

Try balancing the wheel fairings. Add lead shot mixed with epoxy resin in the nose until the fairing is balanced on the wheel axle. Might take care of the problem.

Yup!

Try balancing the wheel fairings. Add lead shot mixed with epoxy resin in the nose until the fairing is balanced on the wheel axle. Might take care of the problem.

Listen to Doug! It works, especially if the shimmy was not there prior to the installation and the wheel pants were the only thing that changed.