mulde35d

Well Known Member
Friend
The instructions call for a 1-1/4” spacer on top of the wheels to be adjusted based upon wheel diameter and type. My question is how little clearance is acceptable?

I am using Wilkerson retreads and the 1-1/4” is way too much. 3/4” is better, but I would like to go down to 1/2”. Thoughts?

1st photo is 1-1/4” spacer

2nd photo is 3/4” spacer

Lots of trimming left to do I know, but want to make sure I don’t take it too low.

IMG_4571.jpegIMG_4574.jpeg

If you ever decide to run the desser retreads, you need the 1 1/4” as they are larger. If you use the 3/4” spacer you cannot use retreads that are larger than standard size. From what I understand, the Wilkerson tires are the size of a standard tire.

With the Wilkerson retreads inflated to 40psi, it has a circumference of 54-1/4” which means a 17-1/4”ish diameter.

Anyone have a set of Desser retreads laying around and care to provide the circumference or diameter. Circumference is easier to measure precisely but C = 2 x R x Pie (just so nobody has to lookup the equation like I did).

In addition to the retreads, the 3/4 inch may prevent the average wheel chocks from being used. I hate when some "well intended" line boy tries to kick the chocks under the skirts! But they exist.

In addition to the retreads, the 3/4 inch may prevent the average wheel chocks from being used. I hate when some "well intended" line boy tries to kick the chocks under the skirts! But they exist.
It really doesn’t feel like the 3/4” is that low to the ground. Even 3/4” still provides roughly 3” of clearance to the ground from the bottom of the wheel pant

Remember, that at 60 knots, those tires are going to expand a bit. How much is an unknown.

Last edited:
Remember, that at 60 knots, those tires are going to expand a bit. How much is an unknown.
On hot asphalt they expand and distort enough that there should be 3/4" clearance on the aft end of the opening. When the tires distort on landing they do not have time to recover their shape before contacting the aft edge of the opening.

Might think about flat tire clearance before sitting it below 1 in. Might try letting the air out with the clearance block in place to see if a flat tire would ruin your day?

I used Wilkerson retreads as well and went with 3/4”. Where you will find issues is on the nose wheel. I couldn’t get the clearance from the pant to the upper fairing and actually had to mold a slight divot into the rear of the front pant right where the nose gear makes the 90 to the vertical Into the pant. Hope that makes sense. If not PM me for pics.

keith