Capflyer

Well Known Member
My RV4 has the older flat sided wheel pants. If you have upgraded to the newer style pants I'd love to hear what if any performance improvement you had. I am considering upgrading them but will not do it if there is no benefit. Thanks.

Wheel Pants

I replaced my old flat pants with the new 2 piece. I picked up 9 MPH on my -6A. Go for it, you won't regret it.

With the extensive testing done by Van's, they found them to improve cruise speed by 4 - 5 MPH. I think this was with a change to the fiberglass gear leg fairings also.

I picked up 6-8 MPH in a high power cruise going to Sam James pants over the flat Van's pants. I changed the upper fairings at the same time so maybe 1-2 MPH came from those as the old ones were very ragged.

I have the 2600 RPM redline prop and could reach right at 2600 before, now I can reach 2680. That should give you a good idea at how much more efficient the pressure recovery pants are.

Louise's RV-6 picked up about 6 knots going from the old pants and metal gear leg fairings to the pressure recovery pants, fiberglass gear leg fairings, and Fairings Etc. Uppers and Lowers.

Paul

I just started replacing the old wheel pants with the new pressure recovery wheel pants on our RV-4. Sure hoping to see that 4-5 mph increase.

Excellent.....Now I have a spring project. Thanks Paul for the info on the legs as well, I didn't ask but was also wondering about those. I currently have the metal leg fairings and was also toying with changing them. Tom, let us know how you fair as well.

Thanks guys