Bugsy

Well Known Member
I installed wheel pants yesterday and test flew this morning. Strong roll to left, yaw a little more to right. No leg fairings, just main pants.

Pants are aligned straight back with weight off but they aren't straight up and down, tilted a little. Looks like I need to start over with alignment and have them straight up and down. Any advice?

I may have a similar problem;
I made the mistake of bonding + riveting in the aluminum brace for the mounting bolt that goes in the axle nut.
I'll probably have to break it apart to reposition the wheel pant. In my case, the pant contacts the brake bleeder fitting. It's a little 'twisted'
No big deal, just more work, and some finish & repair.
Somehow I got the right side perfect, from the upper intersect fairing to the bottom of the wheel pant.
The left side, not so much. I guess I started all those jobs on the left side, and by the time I got to the right side, I knew what to do!

I installed wheel pants yesterday and test flew this morning. Strong roll to left, yaw a little more to right. No leg fairings, just main pants.

Pants are aligned straight back with weight off but they aren't straight up and down, tilted a little. Looks like I need to start over with alignment and have them straight up and down. Any advice?

Yours are done just like thousands of other RV's (and certificated aircraft). Positioning them so they are straight up and down in flight will look very strange ( and it will not necessarily solve yor problem).
I think something else caused your roll to be induced (such as incorrect yaw alignment of the wheel pants).
First thing to do is remove them and make sure it goes back to how it was.

The "not straight up and down" isn't a factor. Maybe we can check some of this on the ground.

Drop plumb bobs from the fuse and the tie down ring (if an A) and draw the centerline.

Stick a laser level (that has been leveled) from the front and follow the middle of the tire tread all the way to the top of the tire.

Extend the center line out to the laser line on the ground (which should be doing up the middle of the tire tread. Draw a line all the way back to the tail that is equidistance from front to back.

Put the wheel pants back on. Drop a plumb bob from the center of the vertical trailing edge of the wheel pant. How does it relate to the line on the ground?

Repeat on the other side. How does THAT trailing edge relate to the line on the ground?

Thanks guys. It's good to hear that having the pants straight up and down isn't likely contributor. Bob, I'm not following completely can I give you a call, will PM.

I wrote a step by step once on the RV Builder's Hotline (which is no longer online). I've still got it on my computer, though, so let me see if I can stick it somewhere and maybe it'll make some sense.
2012-03-05_18-36-42_622.jpg

I wrote a step by step once on the RV Builder's Hotline (which is no longer online). I've still got it on my computer, though, so let me see if I can stick it somewhere and maybe it'll make some sense.
2012-03-05_18-36-42_622.jpg

Bob I'd like to see you wheel plant explanation also. Mine look tipped sitting on the bench. And they both tip the same way like having 2 right hand pants.