lucaperazzolli

Well Known Member
Hi, I'm in the process to install the wheels and gears fairing on my 8.

I did a lot of 'investigations' @ Oshkosh this year and I found two ways.

One is the standard as per plans, the other puts the low intersection fairing on the nutplates instead of bonding it on the wheel pants.

I'm not worry to do the resin work but I would like to have some advices from you and from your experiences.

Bye

idea_2.jpg

idea_1.jpg

Last edited:
Notes from the Field

Its a personal preference thing and personally, I prefer the bonded look. In my case, I originally built up the intersection fairing as shown in your
photograph, however, early on in Phase One flight testing I heard a loud, vibrating noise and quickly aborted the flight. After landing, I discovered
that air was getting trapped between the split in the fairing at the circled area and started to tear the bonded intersection fairing away from the
wheel pant. The damage was minor but did require I rework the area with a small lip to make the area more aerodynamic. Problem solved.

2i208d4.jpg

Cleaner.

Hi Luke....bonding them to the wheelpants makes a really clean finished installation and there's really no good reason to have them removable.

Best,

I like them bonded as well - it makes taking the front of the pant off to check tire pressure very quick and easy. Both of our flying airplanes have that little overlap that Rick showed, and I just finished paying up the overlap for our RV-3 project this morning - it is curing as we speak!

We started building the intersection fairings (from scratch) on Monday this week, and they'll be finished "for flight" by tomorrow - not really that tough to do, just a bit messy. They'll require some additional finishing before paint, but we'd have to do that regardless of which method of attachment we chose.

Paul

If you're going to make an overlap, at least try to make them fair. The step looks slow.

Dave
P.S. Dunno if it is slow or not, but it looks that way.