dustman

Well Known Member
Question for the group im getting ready to install the gear leg fairings and would like to hear some opinions on using aluminum or fiberglass fairings. Which is better? Thanks

Don't know how others feel, but I left my (1996)aluminum fairings hanging on the shelf, and bought the new fiberglass ones from Van's.

Picked up some top and bottom fairings from Fairings-ETC (advertised on this web site) to go with them. A very well made product!

L.Adamson -- RV6A

Wait - they made aluminum gear leg fairings in the past? Is this still an option?

Aluminun Fairings

I am running the aluminun gear leg fairings. Need to have lots of clearance with the brake lines or they will cut right thru them. Found that out on the way back from Lakeland....

Use the fiberglass gear fairing

Question for the group im getting ready to install the gear leg fairings and would like to hear some opinions on using aluminum or fiberglass fairings. Which is better? Thanks
1) The Fiberglass is one piece and the original metal ones are two piece with a lap joint in the middle. The fiberglass ones look better of course with out the lap joint. This was done to let the metal flex; with out it you would kink the fairing in the middle. The fiberglass does not need it.

2) Weight wise, no difference, but before painting, the FG one is sim-translucent. Being able to see through it, might make installation easier.

3) The old metal fairing had a little more rounded leading edge and was not as wide. The fiberglass ones have a little wider chord, just as a guess. Wider chord means it will likely have lower drag. How much? The rule of thumb for min drag tear-drop or streamlined farings is a width/thickness ratio of approx 4 to 5.5 to 1 (about 25%-18% thickness to chord ratio). Basically its a symetiric airfoil. Going with a chord that's too wide, produces diminishing return, drag goes back up. Also if too wide, the gear fairing might affect the aerodynamic handling of the plane negatively, as they DO act as wings and can affect spin characteristics, for example.

4) Last but not least, if you look at old RV's and newer ones with the fiberglass gear fairing, I think you will see they look way more sporty.

If you have not installed the metal fairings, get the fiberglass ones and install those. It is worth the cost. George
Wait - they made aluminum gear leg fairings in the past? Is this still an option?
If you can find someone with the old full sized plans with dimensions, you can make your own,. You could write Van if they will make some for you, but I'm pretty sure the fiberglass is standard and it is interchangeable.

Last edited:
1) If you can find someone with the old full sized plans with dimensions, you can make your own,. You could write Van if they will make some for you, but I'm pretty sure the fiberglass is standard and it is interchangeable.

Or I'd sell mine cheap; but shipping would cost more because they're still full length.

L.Adamson

Faster too...

....than the old, flat-sided wheelpants. We picked up over 16MPH with them and intersection fairings upper and lower, molded to the pants and screwed on uppers. visit www.fairings-etc.com,

Regards,