[email protected]

Well Known Member
Looks like I need new wheel bearing for my RV6A. Does anyone know the best place to buy them and are there other manufactures with the same bearing? Also I should replace the nose wheel bearings but have not yet removed the wheel, does it use the same bearing (Timken 08129)

Thanks

Look in the local yellow pages for Bearings. Likely you will see: Motion Industries (500 stores in US), Applied Ind. Tech. (400 stores in US), and other independent bearing distributors. Timken does make bearings for aviation applications, several other companies make the same sizes. Most distributors will not sell you any bearings if you are putting them on an airplane. Can you say boat trailer?

I got them at the local NAPA auto parts. Timken 8125 (not 8129) and the races were 8132, IIRC. Around 50 bucks for a complete set of bearings and races.

Jeff Point
RV-6
Milwaukee

Be aware that aircraft Timken bearings often have a higher percision dash number (race and bearing have better finishes). For example the 8125 bearing mentioned is 8125-20629 (class 2 finish) for aircraft wheels in the Timken catalog. Often, bearing houses carry the generic version and can order the higher percision version...and of course you can order them from Aircraft Spruce or Chief.

Also, note that there is a separate p/n for the race. You should replace the bearing and race as a set since wear and damage will occur on both. New bearings and races are interchangeable, but not so on used/worn sets.

Seems like I paid about $36 for the bearing/race set for the 6" Clevelands on my Debonair (two sets needed for each wheel). And of course, I'm required to use the approved p/n...

Timken aircraft bearing link: http://www.timken.com/products/bearings/products/faachart.asp

Good luck,
Deene.