prkaye

Well Known Member
Apparently when I send in my wheel for the Perftec axle mod I also need to send in my "spacers". I assume this is referring to those mushroom axle pieces that van supplied? I upgraded to the Matco axle a couple of years back, and I know it replaced those mushroom pieces, which I'm not sure I still have.
I'm debating at this point whether it's worth the money to upgrade from the Matco axle to the Perfec mod, given I may also have to buy replacement spacers. That would be two front nosewheel axle upgrades in 2 years. I'm not having any problems with my nosewheel - I just want piece of mind. How much more will I get moving up from the Matco to the perftec?

spacer

Phil, I believe the spacer stack (outside-center-outside) is a very important part. It makes the fork far more ridged if a shimmy occurs. This reduces the chances of the bearing skewing and locking up. The ball bearing option is not nearly as prone to locking up as is the roller bearing but the spacer between the bearings stiffens the fork. Ron

I have an extra set of spacers that I have no use for. If you want them at no charge, PM me and I'll have them sent to Allan to meet up with your nosewheel. It's actually too bad you didn't post this a few days ago, because just last Saturday I mailed off my nosewheel and spacers to Allan to have the bearing mod done - I could've thrown the extra set of spacers in the same box.

But I wonder if my Matco axle can be used in lieu of the spacers, in conjunction with the Perftec bearing mod?

I got an email back from Antisplat. No, they apparently cannot use the Matco axle instead of the spacers (no explanation given as to why).
I'm trying to find these spacers on Vans site - but they don't have any description for these parts. Is the correct part number F-1263C? If so, they're only $1.90 each from vans. Antisplat is asking $25 to machine two new ones.
**EDIT** someone was kind enough to PM me - the correct part number for these spacers is actually U-623-1. $15.75 each at Vans. So $25 to have new ones machined is actually a good deal. I still don't understand why a single solid axle piece through the Antisplat bearing wouldn't be a better option though.

Last edited: