aparchment

Well Known Member
Is there an easy way to take the wheel bearing itself apart? I got some metal shavings on it and want to completely disassemble it for cleaning.

I have the bearings out of the wheel hub now I need to get the race (I think it's called) separated from the metal part that surrounds the axel. There must be some trick to move the cylindrical rollers out of the way so that the part that rides on the axel can slide by.

Nope, that's as far as it comes apart

Is there an easy way to take the wheel bearing itself apart? I got some metal shavings on it and want to completely disassemble it for cleaning.

I have the bearings out of the wheel hub now I need to get the race (I think it's called) separated from the metal part that surrounds the axel. There must be some trick to move the cylindrical rollers out of the way so that the part that rides on the axel can slide by.

The tapered roller bearing consists of a 'Cone" and a "Cup".
i.e. inner and outer races. The outer race is a press fit in the wheel.

The inner race or "cone" has the race, roller separator and rollers.
These are not disassembled in the field. Or anywhere else for that matter:)

So, to clean it just slosh it around in mineral spirits.
Don't spin it with compressed air as you could damage it.

Hope this helps,
Mark

If you have metal shavings in the wheel bearing it is time to buy new bearings and replace them, repack with good wheel bearing grease and reinstall, go flying and enjoy.

Don't forget to change the race

Don't forget to get a brass drift pin and drive out the old race and replace it also.You can use the old race as a driver over the new race and a block of wood to bang on.

Don't spin it with compressed air as you could damage it.

Long ago, before I was aware of this particular warning I used to spin bearings up to about 7 gazillion RPM to "dry" them of cleaning solvent. They would sure sing like a wounded canary! My question is: Has anyone ever really damaged a bearing by spinning it like this? Of course I no longer spin my bearings with compressed air as I give proper credence to old wives tales until given the go ahead by the old wife herself. Just curious.

Shrapnel

I have personally seen caged bearings literally explode in one of my mechanics hand as he was drying a bearing in that way. I didn't realize what he was doing until it was too late! I was taught a long time ago that the bearing is not designed to take that type of force when it is out of its intended race.:eek:

I have personally seen caged bearings literally explode in one of my mechanics hand as he was drying a bearing in that way. :eek:

Yep, had the same thing happen as a teenager while I was repacking the front wheel bearings of my 66 Chevy Impala. I had cleaned the bearings in solvent and was holding one on my pointer finger while blowing compressed air over the top to dry it off. The bearing was singing pretty good right up to the point where the cup let go and rained shrapnel throughout the workshop. Fortunately I had the bearing turned away from me just enough so I wasn't hit, but you can bet I didn't dry the other one the same way.

John

Like John, except on a '70 Cuda, I was spinning the bearings dry and was on the last one when it exploded and caused me a trip to the ER for several stitches in that finger!!!

Please don't dry them by spinning them with compressed air!!!!

Yep, I was a service manager and have seen mechanics do this as they were learning. I have always (50+yrs) dried them with air and using an air burst to spin has never done harm. The cage typically expands well before failure.

Unconstrained steady spinning is dangerous, but like many things, one needs to know the limits and that usually means learning from an expert or stepping over the edge. You can hear the tone increase and just don't let it reach terminal speed. 1/2 second burst works just fine.

Be safe.