N787TR

I balanced my main tires last night on a unit from Harbor Freight and it all seemed very straight forward. I added 1/4 ounce weights with double sided tape to the inside of the rims until the wheel didn't seem to have a heavy side. But I had two questions, first, in order the balance the wheels I had to use between 3 and 4 oz of weight. Does this seem excessive? Secondly, I originally intended to put all of the weights on the outboard side of the wheel (still inside rim). But due to the amount of weight used, I ran out of room and I had to use the inboard side as well. Now I am concerned that the heat buildup from the brakes may weaken the double sided tape enough that the weights come off. Has anybody had issues with the weights coming off?

Thanks in advance,

-Todd

Just one data point

I didn't balance my wheels/tires at all. I think there are red dots on the tires that must line up with dots on the rims (if I recall correctly)...that was the extent of my balancing. My airplane handles great on the ground. I suppose if it had some serious vibration while taxiing, I may look into it.

I think you will be fine, putting half the weights on the inner rim is probably a good idea, what we did years ago when I worked at a tire shop.

As far as heat-----you might be correct that it will weaken the bond, but at least the loading is into the rim when in motion. When not in motion, most load it will see is 1/4 oz, correct? And only when stopped at the top.

Use some marking crayon, write the weight on the rim at its location, and if it ever comes off, you will know what to replace.

But I had two questions, first, in order the balance the wheels I had to use between 3 and 4 oz of weight. Does this seem excessive?

I balance quite a few wheels and 3-4oz is quite a lot. Best method on that type of balancer is:

1: Determin heavy side of the wheel (if any). Just put the wheel on the balancer with no tire and mark at the point that settles to the bottom.

2: Tires almost always have a light side, some mark the location with a yellow dot inside or on the bead. Mount the tire to the wheel with the dot at the heavy mark you made on the wheel (if applicable). Place the assembly on the balancer.

3: When balancing, mark the tire or wheel with tape at the heavy point. Place weights on the opposite side. Rotate the wheel 90 degrees and release. Add weight as needed until the mark no longer moves from 90 degrees. Make sure to switch back and forth from 90 degrees left to right. Once you think you have it, rotate the wheel to a few different positions - it shouldn't move.

Sounds like a lot, but it really only takes a few minutes.

Edit: By the way, a bit of cloth tape over the weights will help keep the weights in place.

Last edited:
Todd, I vote against putting weights on the inside of the wheel. They would actually be stuck to the hat section of the brake rotor. A hard brake application would likely cause melting (or worse) of the foam under the weights.